6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 8:55 PM by yu.yanfeng

How to create custom global properties in DxDesigner?

spmorone

Hello,

I have been doing research on this topic and found that it was possible to create global net signal properties.  However, what I would like to do is create global properties to represent other things, such as temperature.  Is there a way to do that?

Regards,

Sean Moroney

• 1. Re: How to create custom global properties in DxDesigner?
          robert_davies

Not sure what you're asking! Do you mean properties to attach to symbols or nets? You can define properties using the Property Definition Editor either from Library Manager (Expedition Flow) or Tools - Property Definition Editor if using PADS or a third party PCB tool. Or you want to do something else with these 'global net properties'? What is the use case?

• 2. Re: How to create custom global properties in DxDesigner?
            spmorone

I apologize for being ambiguous.

What I would like to do is to have properties on the schematic that apply

to the entire board.   I do not want to use global nets if possible,

because they are not what I am looking for.  The properties will not be

signals, but rather environmental factors such as temperature.

I am working on a project that takes these types of properties into

account when calculating the applied voltage and/or power of each part on

the schematic and determine if the part meets a certain set of

specifications specifications or not.  So I would require these global or

schematic level properties to be visible, possibly editable, and to be

included in a BOM file that will be processed by my project.

I hope this clarifies some things.

-Sean

• 3. Re: How to create custom global properties in DxDesigner?
              Jack

robert_davies wrote:

Not sure what you're asking! Do you mean properties to attach to symbols or nets? You can define properties using the Property Definition Editor either from Library Manager (Expedition Flow) or Tools - Property Definition Editor if using PADS or a third party PCB tool. Or you want to do something else with these 'global net properties'? What is the use case?

I think he is thinking beyond "symbols" or "net" properties.

For example, what if you wanted to store the bare BOARD THICKNESS somewhere in the schematic (to send to PCB Layout).

Can you have a global property like that?

A property that is NOT related to nets or symbols?

Jack

• 4. Re: How to create custom global properties in DxDesigner?
                Jack

oops...

I just realized he already answered your question, Robert.

Although now that I read his response,

I can't imagine that type of info appearing in a BOM file,

but its still an interesting idea.

Jack

• 5. Re: How to create custom global properties in DxDesigner?
                  robert_davies

You can add unattached properties but these would only be notes, you can't pass anything to the BOM or layout in this instance.

• 6. Re: How to create custom global properties in DxDesigner?
                    yu.yanfeng

Hi Robert,

suppose we have a special comment symbol, you can define property values on it and put the symbol on the sheet, then all instances's property's real values will be superceded by values defined  in this symbol while xDX designer be dealing with design data.

For example, if user assign TEMPERURTURE=100 and set it's scope to board, then xDX designer will think all instances with this property will get 100 whatever indivial instance's property value is.

1.JPG

Of course, this is only an idea.

yanfeng