3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2014 1:09 PM by jimvr4

Create fractured symbols from a source file?

fred

Hi group.  I have a long history with DxDesigner (back to ViewDraw) but not in the past several years, I've detoured through OrCad, CadStar, and KiCad.  Starting again with version 9.5 and the ES suite.

If I remember correctly I used to import FPGA output pin/pad files directly into the symbol wizard to create hetero symbols, some work required but the result was good and very flexible.  Is this functionality gone now?  I see that I can import a CSV file and create a single symbol directly from that, or I can use the symbol wizard to create a fractured symbol and import a Verilog or VHDL file.

1)  Is there a way to create a fractured symbol from a CSV file?

2)  Or is there a way to create a symbol from a CSV import, and then fracture it later?

3)  If I import a Verilog/VHDL file through the symbol wizard is there a way to supply pin numbers too?

I don't mind massaging my CSV source file into any format that will allow me to import the information directly, I just don't want to create 324 pins from scratch with names, numbers, and directions.  In this case it's a custom ASIC so no files from ISE/Quartus/etc. or third-party symbols.

If this functionality is (no longer!?) part of the library editor, has anyone created a tcl script or external tool to do this?  Seems like it would be of use to a lot of people.

Best.

• 1. Re: Create fractured symbols from a source file?
          Gary_Lameris

If you do file new library symbols you should have an option to launch the Symbol Wizard to create fractured symbols.

As you know, the symbol editor itself can read CSV files, In some cases I have created a master CSV file, and then split into each facture to import the CSV files directly into the symbol editor for each desired fracture. 

I've attached my Symbol from pinlist template for Excel to help create error free symbols.

• 3. Re: Create fractured symbols from a source file?
            jimvr4

Hi Gary,

I find it interesting that the treatment of fractured Symbols in the Symbol Wizard is not part of the documentation you linked.  We are also creating very large symbols for FPGAs.  We found experimentally how to create the fractures:

1. Start the Symbol Wizard and select Fracture
            2. In step 5 of 5 (Pin Settings) Create the fracture names either at the top (Add a Hetero Type III fracture button) or at the bottom (+ symbol).  The names will be the symbol names that are created so be careful
            3. If you made a single CSV file for the symbol with a column for the fracture name, use Excel Data Filter to select only those rows for the target fracture and copy to clipboard.
            4. Back in the Symbol Wizard navigate to the target fracture and paste the clipboard into the cell under Pin Name
            5. Repeat the process for each fracture.  Make sure the created fracture names match what you have in the spreadsheet for column 5 (Fracture Name)
            6. After all fractures are created click Finish.
            7. The base fracture will have no pins, click Yes to the dialog to create the symbol anyway and you can later delete the empty symbol

Possible improvements would be creating the fracture names automatically from the CSV file and populating each fracture automatically.  But at least it works!

Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful