3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 12:26 AM by aclark

How can I generate a report to check against the Interface Control Document

andy.freebody

Is there a report available form either DxDesigner or Expedition that I could use to check my designs I/O against the projects Interface Control Document?

• 1. Re: How can I generate a report to check against the Interface Control Document
          aclark

I would be very interested in this as well.  Doing this manually becomes very tedious and therefore error prone with motherboard connectors of 300+ pins!

I had a quick play with  File --> Export  --> Quick Connection View, loading the results into Excel to do some searching and filtering.  This looked like a quickish and dirty way to get at least some results, but the way that the output seems to contain a netname and list of pins makes it a little awkward.  I just tried again but it says "Error: Unpacked design"

Using Design Capture/Exp I used to export the design database using report writer and run queries on it to do this, but I haven't investigated this with DxD.  I used to have a list of the database schema to know how to join the various tables to link things like signal names to component Refdes/pin, otherwise it takes a bit of searching in the dark!

I have no experience of automation (I haven't had the time to learn this since I started using DxD), so I don't know if it might be possible to go through this route.

• 2. Re: How can I generate a report to check against the Interface Control Document
            andy.freebody

Thanks for that.  It looks like the data is there it just needs reformatting.

• 3. Re: How can I generate a report to check against the Interface Control Document
              aclark

I've just had a play with Report Writer.  There is a table called TPhysical_Pins.  This contains a record for every pin in the design, and gives Pin Number, Reference Designator and Flat Net name.

What I don't know is how easy it would be to automate getting this data.  From Design Capture, I used to run a script that automatically generated a .mds filde from the design.  This database could be opened in Access or various other programs.  There is a small program that is installed alongside ReportWriter that generates a .mds access database file.  Using DC you run it like this (I guess "vbdc" needs to change for a DxD design):

dbauto.exe vbdc=<PROJECT LOCATION>