3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 6:58 AM by Patrick.Cashman

How to open the first sheet of root block when no sheet was opened initially

andreas.rehn

Hi,

I'm trying to open the first sheet of the root block in DxDesigner. DxDesigner and the project are opened by automation. Once this is done no schematic or sheet is open.

When I try now to access the collection schematicSheetDocuments() it fails due it is null.

I use this code:

DxDesignerApp.OpenProject(@"D:\cad\projects\test\test.prj");

string rootBlockName = DxDesignerApp.GetProjectData().GetiCDBDesignRootBlock(DxDesignerApp.GetActiveDesign());

string firstRootBlockSheetName = DxDesignerApp.SchematicSheetDocuments().GetAvailableSheets(rootBlockName).GetItem(0);

DxDesignerApp.SchematicSheetDocuments().Open(rootBlockName, firstRootBlockSheetName);

Does anybody know how to open/load a schematic by automation in order to get the SchematicSheetDocuments collection?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to open the first sheet of root block when no sheet was opened initially
          Patrick.Cashman

In vb.net, I do something like this:

Dim app as ViewDraw.Application

Dim design_name As String

Dim sheet as ViewDraw.SchematicSheetDocument

process.Start("D:\\projects\my_project\project.prj")

app = GetObject(,"ViewDraw.Application")

design_name = app.GetProjectData.GetiCDBDesignRootBlock(app.GetActiveDesign())

sheet = app.SchematicSheetDocuments.open(design_name, 1) 'opens sheet 1

I verified that this does work. Starting with no DxDesigner open at all, it starts the tool, loads the project, then opens the sheet. Now if I was actually using it this way, I'd put some error checking in place to make sure the app was open and so on before diving into opening the sheet or doing anything else.  But that's the gist of it.

If you want to get a list of the sheets, you can do this:

Dim sheet_names as New Arraylist

Dim blocks as Object

Dim block as ViewDraw.Block

blocks = app.QueryPages(design_name)

sheet_names.Clear

For Each block In blocks

sheet_names.Add(block.SheetNum)

Next

In vbscript, the process.Start would be replaced with something like this:

dim wsh

set wsh = CreateObject("shell.application")

path = "D:\\projects\my_project\project.prj"

wsh.open path

• 2. Re: How to open the first sheet of root block when no sheet was opened initially
            andreas.rehn

Thanks Patrick, that's it. How did you paste in your code with syntax highlighting?

• 3. Re: How to open the first sheet of root block when no sheet was opened initially
              Patrick.Cashman

You're welcome.

The text pasting is kind of kludgey.  If I paste from a text editor (notepad++), it doesn't get the colors.  If I paste directly from the editor in the IDE, it does.  Then I select all the text and quote it using the quote button here in the Reply text box, then change the font to Courier. 

It would be really nice if they had a text formatting thing especially for pasting code that would not add but would add contextual formatting per language rules.