3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 8:24 AM by djefferson

help with replacing parts on a translated board

djefferson

Hi all,

New pads 9.5 user here. We have a design that was translated from Pcad. We want to replace the parts with the new parts from our pads library without changing the existing traces.

I have tried  TechNote MG543590 How to change a part to a new type. The rotation is different for the new decal. This really messes up the existing traces as they are still connected to the new pins.

Rotating the decal only creates more trace problems.

Is there some way to disconnect the traces from the part, replace the part with the new one, correct the rotation, and reconnect the existing traces?

Is there a better way to update the parts on a translated board?

Thanks for any help,

Dave

• 1. Re: help with replacing parts on a translated board
          djefferson

No one has any suggestions?

• 2. Re: help with replacing parts on a translated board
            andrewz

I have tied some weird things to save some routing before.  If it’s a pin for pin compatible part that you are replacing the old part with, then going into ECO tool bar and using the change component option is a good way to go.  The thing I have run into with this is that if you use the same part/decal name the design will refresh from the layout and not the library.  In this case I make a dummy decal in the library and switch the component twice.

If you are importing your new part already that is pin for pin compatible but you are saying that is comes in with the incorrect rotation you can select it and hit ctrl+r to rotate it in order to untangle the nets.

If the new part is not pin for pin compatible then you could just do the same thing as above but when the new part comes in the nets will be in a knot.  Just click the last segment or two of the trance and delete that instead of the whole net.  Then you will just need to reroute the last little bit of each net.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: help with replacing parts on a translated board
              djefferson

I have forwarded you suggestions to the Engineer that requested the information.

Thanks for helping out with this.