5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 8:37 AM by Joel_Pointon

Show signal name when hovering over a wire

Swedeborn

It would be great if the signal name was showing in the box that appears when hovering over a wire.

One could then switch off the displaying of signal name on the wire and make the drawing less messy.

Maybe a setting, so one could choose what info to be displayed

• 1. Re: Show signal name when hovering over a wire
          Joel_Pointon

What I normally do is switch most of the Wire Properties on, then when I need to print the drawing or issue it I switch off the properties I don't require.  You may already know but changing the display of wire properties from the Design Tools -> Design Options will give you option of updating every wire in the schematic.

I've now started to use the function name on the pins rather then the function name on the wires, these too can be displayed in the harness.

You might want to request an enhancement (by logging a Support Request) asking for the option to display in the Signal Name in the tooltip.

• 2. Re: Show signal name when hovering over a wire
            Swedeborn

I got a response from Nigel, but it doesn't show up here for some reason, and I get a errorpage if klicking on the link.

Here is the response from nigel:

-

Well... you can actually do that by tweaking the analysis model and just turning on simulation (even if you don't want to simulate). You can still carry on designing, and can display any property/attribute or even a calculated value in the tool-tip.

-

To reply to this message visit the message page: http://communities.mentor.com/message/2684

My follow up question have to be. Where do you do that? I can't find anywhere to do that.

• 3. Re: Show signal name when hovering over a wire
              Swedeborn

I have the signal name turned on, I just thought the tooltip would be a logical place to show it.

I find myself often to be zoomed in to much to see the text on the line, and it also could make the drawing less busy.

I thought this was the place to to make suggestions for new features?

I can file a support request also if that is the right way to do it.

• 4. Re: Show signal name when hovering over a wire
                Joel_Pointon

There was also a blog from Nigel that has the same error page, I checked with him and this was posted to an internal forum within Mentor so I guess that is what has happened here.  From the response it looks like this comment is referring to another tool from Mentor called CHS.

• 5. Re: Show signal name when hovering over a wire
                  Joel_Pointon

You can post suggestions here but this is only a forum, I guess if you post your idea for an enhancement and several people make comments agreeing on how useful it would be then it may get included in the development plans.  If you log a Support Request this is an official request that has traceability and can be linked to an Enhancement Request, I think you may even be able to check the status online in Supportnet.