5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 12:35 AM by Joel_Pointon

Schematic design with alternate equipment

CO2

I am interested in learning how others draw alternate features/harnesses on the schematics on Vesys.  I was in a discussion yesterday with someone who asked the "correct way" to do so and was left without a "correct" way to answer.  My company does schematics and harness development for vehicles, therefore we use multiple harnesses for each vehicle some with alternate harnesses for systems such as the air conditioning, some models get manual and others get automatic temp control.  We are looking to find a way to show them on our schematics.  I am just wondering how others approach a task such as this.

Thanks

Chris

• 1. Re: Schematic design with alternate equipment
          Joel_Pointon

Hi Chris,

The most common approach is to draw all of the sub-systems for the schematics within one drawing.  The schematics are normally used to show how things work so will be broken down into systems such as Air Conditiong, Cruise Control, etc.  Even if you have 2 types of Air Conditioning these will be on the same schematic drawing but may be split out onto seperate sheets (i.e. Air Conditioning and then a second sheet with the High Line additional wiriing).  You would then have 2 options on how to draw the harnesses, one of which is to create a composite drawing that shows all derivatives (sometimes called a 150% harness) or to draw seperate harnesses.

What you will need to do is tag the wires with different option codes/names, if you have opted to draw seperate harnesses you will NOT include the connectors for the other derivative i.e. a Low Line Airconditioning harness would not include any of the high line connectors.  The majority of VeSys users will go for the composite (or 150% harness) where every possible combination of harness is shown, when following this process you will need to include an Option/Variant table.

This is only a brief summary of the options open to you, if you need more clarification let me know.

• 2. Re: Schematic design with alternate equipment
            Joel_Pointon

One thing you don't want to do is duplicate whole sheets of a schematic just because something is slightly different, I have attached an example drawing of how I show options on a schematic.!Example of Options.gif!

• 3. Re: Schematic design with alternate equipment
              Joel_Pointon

Hi Chris,

Sorry about that the image it isn't very clear so I have attached it as a seperate file.  You will see from the picture that two wires exit a pin via a common path and then they split (these two wires are different options) in a pattern similar to the { symbol.

• 4. Re: Schematic design with alternate equipment
                CO2

Thanks for your help.  I figured that would be the best way to show alternate equipment but wanted to see what others are doing.  It appears you and I are using similar approaches.

Thanks

Chris

• 5. Re: Schematic design with alternate equipment
                  Joel_Pointon

Yeah.. either that or you're copying me