4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 1:41 AM by jonathan.barnes

Bridging copper

jonathan.barnes

I have Expedition EE7.9.4. Is there any feature similar to the copper bridge in PADS as described in this link?

Connecting different GND planes together?

Our corporate library has some via-based "star grounds" and dummy component net connectors, but these bring the copper down to a small point and are not suitable for keeping traces running over a continuous reference plane.

• 1. Re: Bridging copper
          sajivnglnice

Hi,

While creating plane classes you can see one option as " enable tie bridging". If you select that option means nets corresponding to particular plane will tied together.

I hope that this will help you.

Regards,

Sajiv

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bridging copper
            jonathan.barnes

Thanks Sajiv.

Maybe not quite what I was thinking, but that's an interesting option I hadn't considered. I just tried it and it does indeed let me take a via from, say, a PGND pad and connect to a plane named DGND, providing PGND is also a valid net for that plane layer.

Regards,

Jonathan

• 3. Re: Bridging copper
              sajivnglnice

Hi Jonathan,

If you need to connect PGND with AGND means you have to put some additional effort. Because mentor will not allow interconnection between two different net names. But you need to connect because you are using star topology.

What i am suggesting is,

1. Create any user defined layer.

2. In that layer you can draw shapes (normally rectangle) like overlapping the two planes with fill option.

3. In your gerber settings you can turn it on for the particular layer.

4. Make sure that the drawn shape is overlapping on the two particular planes only, and there is no other traces or vias in that area.

I hope that this one will help you.

Regards,

Sajiv

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Bridging copper
                jonathan.barnes

Hi Sajiv,

Thanks. I can see this would work.

Regards,

Jonathan