1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 3:44 AM by peter_festesen

Create Variant Manager report from a VBscript

n.champion

I've recently began scripting for dxdesigner with vbs script, both of which are relatively new to me. I need to write a script that generates an excel report from the variant manager.

This is not the BOM report, which I can do in vbscript easily, the one i need is when you right click on the variant document in the manger and select reports > Microsoft Excel. Does any one know how to access this functionality through a vbscript? ive gone through the automation references many times, if what im trying to do is even possible, any help what so ever would be appreciated.

Attached is a visual of the option I need to access from a script in the dxdesigner interface.

thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Create Variant Manager report from a VBscript
          peter_festesen

Hello Nathan

I am very sure that it can be done. Attached please find a script that will help you in your quest, I hope. It is started from inside DxDesigner (Open File - set file type to .efm)

This script produces a txt file - then gives the option to reformat the output. I just provide this as an example. It is not written by me, I just happened to pick it up at one point.

Anyway - the reformatting is probably not relevant - so skip that.

Have a look at the Sub ButtonCreateVariantBOM_EventClick()

To start, you will have to figure out the important parts that start with vmbom (these are all the setups)

Importnat, since you want to create Excel files, is the vmbom.Format - it is set to 1 (for txt) but needs to be modified to 4 (xls)

vmBOM.Format = 1

changes to

vmBOM.Format = 4

I believe that just doing that (and getting rid of the other (Reformat ) button will get you started.

Somewhere I have another script, that starts outside of DxDesigner - if you are interested, let me know, and I'll find it. If I remember correctly, it starts DxDEsigern in the background, and chucks out Variant Boms for all variants.

For the details, make sure to take a look at the documentation :  eevm_auto.pdf in your local Mentor folder...

I hope this helps...

/Peter