3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2015 1:55 AM by alexandru.dumitru

Plane thermal indicators disappear after pouring copper

rceragioli

I am working in PADS Layout 9.5.

I cannot seem to get the plane thermal indicators to behave.

I have several part types that have pins in split planes.

The plane thermal indicator for Pin 1 of some of these part types will show up, but as soon as I pour the copper into these split planes, the Pin 1 thermal indicators disappear.

The plane indicators for the other pins of these part types that are in other split planes don't disappear, only the indicators for Pin 1 of these part types.

I have several other part types in these planes that do not exhibit this behavior.

I have compared the properties of the affected and non -affected part types, but I just cannot see any differences.

I have tried resetting the pin pad and thermal defaults, and then setting the pad shape again, but the same thing happens.

These pins affected are all set to flood over.

The pins of non-affected  part types are not set to flood over.

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior before?

Any solutions?

• 1. Re: Plane thermal indicators disappear after pouring copper
          jduquette

Do you have different properties set for Oval pads and Round pads?  That is one way to make this happen. 

Including photos of before and after the pour might help in figuring this out.

• 2. Re: Plane thermal indicators disappear after pouring copper
            rceragioli

I'm not sure what you mean by "different properties set for Oval pads and Round pads".

I have no Oval pads specified, only square and round pads.

I have gone through the affected part types in the design, and checked closely to see if there are any inconsistent properties set, but I cannot find any differences.

Also, I just did the "ASCII" dance with the design.

When I imported it back into PADS, all of the appropriate pins had plane thermal indicators showing.

As soon as I poured copper, the plane thermal indicators that were disappearing before I did the ASCII dance disappeared again.

I am going to delete the affected parts from my design and bring them in again from PADS Logic to see if this fixes things.

Before pour.jpg

Before pouring copper- look at the larger square pads.

After pour.jpg

After pouring-note the two large pins near the left edge, then the matching two pins at the same height near the center-same part type and matching settings.

When I last modified this part type, I selected "all", not "selected", so that both parts would have the same thermal pad properties. But they must not have!

Also, note the pads along the left and right edges-the unroutes between the pins won't go away, even though there is copper.

I have done many pcbs using the same techniques, but for some reason, this one is giving me issues that I cannot seem to resolve.

• 3. Re: Plane thermal indicators disappear after pouring copper
              alexandru.dumitru

1. try looking in Tools->Options->Thermals and see if you don't have "flood over" selected for any type of pads. 

2. check the footprint again in your library and then updated it in your design.

"unroutes between the pins won't go away, even though there is copper" this happens very often in PADS, especially if you have solid copper defined for the specific net.