AnsweredAssumed Answered

Body to body clearances violations

Question asked by ampohms on Feb 12, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 20, 2015 by sajivnglnice

It seems body to body clearance violation errors occur whenever a part outline touches another part outline.  This would seem to jive with the intent of the rule, but it doesn't.

The problem is that part outlines with a thickness violate the rule whenever any part of that thick outline touches another outline.  This is a problem.  To look at it from another perspective... When I create a part, I create it based on spacing/dimensions provided in the manufacturer specifications for the part.  So, if the manufacturer suggests a courtyard of 100mil x 100mil, I draw an outline of 100mil x 100mil.  As long as another part does not violate my 100mil box, I'm good.  But if I give that outline a thickness of, say, 10 mil, then any parts placed on 100 mil centers will violate.  This is not because the courtyard dimensions have been broken.  Its because the courtyard line thicknesses have been broken.

This is a flaw.  No one designs part decals according to manufacturers recommendations... oh, and by the way, be sure to remember to take into account line thicknesses in PADS.  Every outline would now require a calculation to adjust for the thickness, which, in addition to the additional work to create each new part, also makes decal creation more prone to to calculation errors.

There is no doubt that this is a defect, I'm just wondering if this was designed into the tool on purpose, or just an oversight.

(Before anyone proposes this as a solution, I'll go ahead and nip it in the bud... Changing the line thickness of the library part is not a solution to this problem.   It's a work around, which does not truly resolve the issue...  Line thicknesses may play other important roles in a design, which, in my case, they do.)

Outcomes