4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 10:11 AM by sergio

Multiple via under pads

sergio

I am trying to place an array of vias under some pads (thermalpads, for example) but I do not manage to place them.

I enable the vias under pads in the "editor control - pad entry" and with F2 key (Fan out) I manage to place one via in the center of the pad but sometimes one via is not enough.

I have read the documentation and tried to generate a configuration file but it is not working.

Is there a tutorial or an example that I can check in order to place the multiple vias under pads? Can I do it somehow without configuration file chosing the number of vias to be placed and their distribution (4x4, 4x2, 6x1, ...)?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Multiple via under pads
          jwe

Hallo Sergio,

with the following settings in the EditorControl it should work.

* Allow via under pad

* Allow off pad origin

Now you can begin with the manual routing with F3. Double click to add via on a position within the pad.

Possibly you must also fix the via!

Note:

Please also refer to the Clearances in CES!

I wish you success

Jo

PadEntry.GIFPadEntry1.GIF

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multiple via under pads
            sergio

Thank you for your answer, jwe. I already had those options set, my problem come when I want to place the vias. I understand that the way to do it is routing over the pad and double-click wherever I want to place a via. Is there a way to have them placed as an array (distributed in rows and columns with the same distance between them) or I have to go via by via changing the coordinates in the properties menu to place them in the correct position?

I have a large pad and want to place a lot of vias and I have seen an option to place vias as an array in the rf toolbar but I am not able to place the vias under the pad with this tool. The parameters are very clear (origin of the array, net, type of via and distances), I fill the boxes, press apply and the vias are not placed. Could this tool be an easy way to create the array? Any idea why it is not working?

EDIT: This is the place via tool:

Place Via.png

• 3. Re: Multiple via under pads
              jwe

Sorry!
              I have no RF license and I'm still working with the old version EE7.9.4!
              With the PlaceVia dialogue is not yet possible to work with Via-Arrays.

PlaceVia.GIF

Maybe you need only set this DRC-Option in your xPCB-Place-Via-Dialogue?

Unbenannt.JPG

But you can perhaps look here: "Placing an array of vias"

https://supportnet.mentor.com/?do=reference.technote&id=MG35696&prod=C107-S114-G192-P10287&lang=en&snw_source=pro&referringNode=portal

As workarround my suggestion:
              * work (temporarily) with Via-Grid,

ViaGrid.JPG
              * place the first Via manually,
              * then select this Via and press [Strg+C] --> A copy of the selected Via is now attached to the cursor

copyVia.GIF
              * click with LMB to place a new Via -> repeated several times -> end with [ESC]

PlaceVias.JPG
              * Now you can align the Vias with the LMB in the specified grid.

alignVias.JPGmyViaArray.JPG

Note:

Please do not forget to fixed or locked the Vias, otherwise there are problems with Hangers!

Best regards

Jo

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Multiple via under pads
                sergio

Thank you very very much, Jo. The grid was the point I was missing. With it I can place the vias in rows and columns very easily.

I will spend some time with the "place vias" menu later but with your solution I can do it for this design.

Best regards,

Sergio