2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 6:31 AM by bjorn.nilsson

Maintaining bus name label "offset" after move?

bjorn.nilsson

Hello! This is my first post here so I hope I'm getting this right. Let me know if I should change anything.

I have an issue with the position of bus names. Whenever I name a new bus thes bus name property is placed at a position close to the bus segment. If we´re taking a horizontal bus segement as example the name position is where I want it on the y-axis slightly above the bus (not that this position is off grid), but the position on the x-axis is seldom where I want it. However as soon as I move the name to where I want it, the property snaps to the grid and the bottom part of the text is hidden by the bus segment itself.

Is there a way to keep the original offset from the bus segment even if the name label is moved?

If I change the origin of the property from "lower left" to "middle left" and manually moves the name label one grid point upwards I get the label close to where I want it, but it is far to timeconsuming to do this for every bus in our designs. I guess I could write an automation script to perform this task, but I thought I should check whterer there is a better solution before attempting that.

Any tips would be appreciated

Regards

Björn

• 1. Re: Maintaining bus name label "offset" after move?
          robert_davies

You can set the origin for new names/text in the Settings - Schematic Editor - Text and applying lower center as the default will help for horizontal buses, but it does not help with naming vertical segments and we don't currently have separated settings for this. If you consider this a useful enhancement then you should post it over on the Mentor Ideas site: POST data

The only other solution as you infer is to write some automation to do this post placement.

• 2. Re: Maintaining bus name label "offset" after move?
            bjorn.nilsson

Thank you for your reply Robert!

Changing the default origin to 'middle left' is not sufficient in my case since this will cause the label to be positioned _lower_ than if I choose 'lower left', meaning I still would need to move the label one gridpoint up or otherwise the label will be overlapping the bus more or less completely.

However, I reduced the problem somewhat by changing the default bus line width from 10 to 7. This will do as a workaround for the time being. Perhaps I will write som automation to solve the issue in the future if I can find the time.