6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 5:53 AM by greg.hall

How to change pin count in the schematic symbol or in the layout while preserving part mapping information without HKP/ASCII operations?

Stefanie.Arlt

With the dread of no longer being able to use ASCII hkp-files to resolve „problematic“ part mapping issues quickly, we are looking for a solution that will help us to preserve our current productivity level.

The dataconvert decryption/encryption is only available during a transitional phase until the library manager API has been developed further.

As librarians it is our daily business to create library elements custom made for our developers’ needs. Those needs change more often than not if a new specification of a component is released involving mapping and pin count changes. Is there a “normal” way to work with the Library Manager tools?

Example for schematic symbol change

In the latest spec of a big controller there are changes on a small number of not connected pins. They have been changed into the “must-be-connected-at-all-costs” interface and need to be integrated into the schematic symbol.

If using the default functionality of the library manager, I have no way to integrate those pins into my part mapping without mapping the whole part from scratch. I can add the new pins to the already existing schematic symbol and save it. However, in the part editor the new pins will not be listed, so there is no way to update without deleting the gate information and such the mapping.

My way with HKP/ASCII interface:
                Create a part.hkp file of the old mapping with the old schematic symbol. Delete/remove the part from the parts database. Change the schematic symbol by adding the new pins. Edit the ASCII part.hkp file manually and re-load it back into the parts database. Open the imported part, check and save it.
                Time cost = 15 mins; estimated time for a new part mapping = several hours.

Example for layout cell change

CPU socket with over 1300 balls is undergoing a mechanical review with the result of 4 balls – currently linked to GND - being removed from the package. All other signals remain as they are.

If using the default functionality of the cell editor, I am not allowed to change the pin count of a layout cell which has already been used in a part mapping.

My way with HKP/ASCII interface:
                Create a part.hkp file of the old mapping with the old layout cell. Delete/remove the part from the parts database. Change the layout cell by deleting the now longer needed pads. Edit the ASCII part.hkp file manually and re-load it back into the parts database. Open the imported part, check and save it.
                Time cost = 15 mins; estimated time for a new part mapping = several hours.

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this problem quickly while preserving the relevant part mapping without using HKP/ ASCII operations?

(SR#2205765612 and SR#2205783106)

Thank you for your time.. it was a lot of text!