8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 2:08 AM by Nuri

VeSys 2.0 Storing data centrally - NOT on the "C" drive

john.howes

I'm new to VeSys so forgive me if this is obvious, but I'm puzzled by the way data is organized in Vesys. It seems a strange design decision.

All our ECAD and MCAD libraries and projects are stored centrally. Is there any way to store VeSys data centrally, rather than in the install location, an obfuscated database?

I've read some threads about a tool called "Premigrate" but I can't find such a tool in the install folder.

Having to remember to output Xml every time I change a library item, or modify a project is pretty painful.

Cheers.

• 1. Re: VeSys 2.0 Storing data centrally - NOT on the "C" drive
          Nuri

Hi John,

Generally, the VeSys 2.0 database hosted on a server - with all the clients able to connect.   The VeSys 2.0 database supports concurrency for users, allowing many users to access the same database (work in the same projects, sharing the same library parts).  The only time XML is needed is when you upgrade between major versions (for example VeSys 2.0 v2014.1 to 2015.1), however there is a utility to perform the migration so you would not need to output XML files.  

Typical usage of VeSys 2.0 does not require, even with large teams, export/output of XML when making modifications.

Are you evaluating VeSys 2.0, would you be willing to talk?  If so then please contact your sales representative and ask for assistance,

Kind Regards,

Nuri

• 2. Re: VeSys 2.0 Storing data centrally - NOT on the "C" drive
            john.howes

Hi Nuri,

So " the VeSys 2.0 database hosted on a server"

I can't find any settings to change where the various VeSys files are stored.  The Install has placed everything on the C drive.

Most programs have a number of settings to control where various items are stored etc. but Vesys does not appear to have any options.

There are a few XML settings files filled with incomprehensible stuff, but I can't find any reference to file locations.

Not only do other users need to be able see the design and library data, but it all needs to be stored in the company PLM system. As far as I can tell, this can only be achieved by exporting XML.

From your answer, it appears there is no way to auto output the design and libraries into a secure location. It's a manual operation the engineer needs to remember to do.

My company has recently purchased VeSys  2.0 and I'm trying to figure out how to use it from the terrible documentation and video demo's which keep crashing. It's a shame there's no genuine tutorial.

• 3. Re: VeSys 2.0 Storing data centrally - NOT on the "C" drive
              Nuri

Hi John,

Could you email me your contact details - I'll then try to help you.

Kind Regards,

Nuri

email:nuri_zughaid@mentor.com

• 4. Re: VeSys 2.0 Storing data centrally - NOT on the "C" drive
                jagadheeswaran

Hi Nuri,

can we control the database by read-only for common users and write access for Admins to avoid duplicates?

Thanks,

Jagadhees.

• 5. Re: VeSys 2.0 Storing data centrally - NOT on the "C" drive
                  Nuri

Hi Jagadhees,

Within VeSys 2.0, you can control access using one of three roles (Administrator, Librarian or Designer).  Every user requires at least one role... If someone only had "Librarian" access then designs would appear read-only, however there is no granular control to allow read-only within the "Designer" role.  You can mark individual designs are "read-only", however any designer could change this to "read-write".

If you work with Teamcenter then access can be controlled externally... alternatively Capital could offer greater control over design access.

Thanks

Nuri

• 6. Re: VeSys 2.0 Storing data centrally - NOT on the "C" drive
                    sivabalan_vesys

Hi Nuri,

How can we find, where the current Vesys 2.0 database files are stored in the Server. Because we want to launch to new data base into existing Veysys 2.0 server.

Thanks,

Sivabalan.

• 7. Re: VeSys 2.0 Storing data centrally - NOT on the "C" drive
                      jagadheeswaran

Hi Nuri,

Thanks for you information,

I would like to know the process to set-up the database in better control, let say my database is stored in centralized server and designers/library maintenance team is located in different locations, every buddy accessing the same database. I need to control the database as read-only for all designers and admin access for library maintenance user and server for import/export, add/modify parts as per designer requirement.

Please advise, it would be great if you have any document for such a requirement.

Thanks,

Jagadhees.

• 8. Re: VeSys 2.0 Storing data centrally - NOT on the "C" drive
                        Nuri

Hi,

I think you should have a discussion with your supplier (if you buy direct from Mentor then your Application Engineer), the level of granularity you request is not available in VeSys but is with Capital.

Kind Regards,

Nuri