13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 1:37 AM by robert_davies

How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project

Wim Creyghton

Hi All,

Is there a tutorial or document which describes how to correctly copying a xDx / xPCB project and automatically setting the new names?

If have tried something and in the end I was editing the .prj file for the correct names.

Looks not the correct way.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
          robert_davies

Use Job Management Wizard - it gets installed with Xpedition PCB

• 2. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
            Wim Creyghton

Hoi Robert,

This is for 50% correct for .prj name and the .pcb name.

If I open the new schematic I see the old Board-name and Schematic-name and have to rename them manually.

But the @NAME, @DATETIME and @Projbase in the schematic border are still the old names.

To solve this I have to edit the .prj file.

These items in the .prj file are not renamed by the Job Management Wizard.

• 3. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
              robert_davies

You can rename the Board and Schematic from the Navigator once the schematic is open rather than edit the project file directly, you will then need to forward annotate to get the design back in sync. There isn't any functionality built in to do everything you require in this scenario. As for the @ properties, once you've done the rename in the navigator run 'Update Other Objects - Properties' as you would when making changes in the existing design to get the latest time and other border data.

• 4. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
                Wim Creyghton

This works for the @NAME and @DATETIME properties.

The @Projbase is not updated, maybe because it is a converted DC schematic.

The line: KEY VBPCBDesignPath "PCB\old-name.pcb"  is still in the .prj file.

Is there a way to update this line and the schematic value without editing the .prj file?

• 5. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
                  robert_davies

@ProjBase is not a property supported in DxD/xDX. Also, the VBPCBDesignPath key isn't used by xDX/Xpedition it uses KEY PCBDesignPath.

is this key causing you problems in the renamed project?

• 6. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
                    Jack

I have just finished working through the "Getting Started" tutorial in 7.9.5

Here's the Scenario:

Now I want to "experiment" with that layout, so I used the File/Save a Copy command in Expedition, and called it "Experimental"

(that command loads a small dialog box from the Job Management Wizard)

Then I loaded my copy and right-clicked in the navigator pane to change "systemdesign" (the tutorial project) to "Experimental"

(I renamed BOTH the board and the schematic, since "systemdesign" was used as a board name and schematic name)

I ran Verify, and Update and Package, no errors

Here's the Symptoms:

When I load the board in Expedition, first it says "Unable to locate root block systemdesign in schematic, Forward Annotation will be required"

(which seems reasonable)

but then when I select "Forward Annotate" it says

"Cannot access the module that manages the PCB and schematic data interchange"

and then

"The root of the design has been changed, This change can seriously affect the PCB design"

Here's the Questions:

What is the "serious affect" mentioned in the warning?

Should I have done something differently?

Why didn't "Verify", "Update Symbols/Objects" or "Package" notice anything wrong?

Finally, I went ahead and performed Forward Annotation to see what would happen,

and it asked me to check a few reports "PCBlogfile.txt" and "ForwardAnnotation.txt"

Can you view log files from inside DXD/EE or do you have to find them in the file directory somewhere?

thanks,

Jack (aka "the new guy")

• 7. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
                      robert_davies

The best way to do some experimentation is to copy the whole project either using Job Management Wizard or DxArchiver or copy/paste if you're sure the project isn't active. Then do the renaming in incremental steps - rename the Board/Schematic in DxDesigner and Forward Annotate - then if you really want to rename the pcb. Doing too many things at once can break the links between the root of the schematic and the PCB.

You can view the log files in either Expedition or DxDesigner using the File Viewer from the toolbar or menus - the button looks like the attached.

• 8. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
                        Jack

ugh, I didn't notice that icon... thanks

Well, I DID copy the whole project using Job Management Wizard (called from the menu File/Save a Copy command)

and I did rename the Board and Schematic,

but maybe what you mean by "rename the Board/Schematic" is ONLY the schematic?

So, unless I misunderstood, it sounds like your answer is

"Don't change the Board name until you Forward Annotate."

(Maybe the documentation should mention that, if it is true)

Please tell me if there is more to it than that.

I need to get up to speed juggling a lot of projects, and I don't want to take a chance of corrupting one.

and

I'm almost afraid to ask, but if I accidentally "break the links between the root of the schematic and the PCB"

as you mentioned above, is there a way to recover the links?

thanks,

Jack

• 9. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
                          robert_davies

You can always edit the pcb file and project file in a text editor - but it is not recommended and done at your own risk.

• 10. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
                            Jack

I'm not trying to edit a pcb file or a project file.

I don't know how I could have asked my questions any more precisely, but I'll try again

Let's assume I want to use the tutorial as a starting place for another project.

I used File/Save Copy from the menu and called it "experiment".

(This action is performed by the Job Management Wizard)

When I load the NEW design I still see "systemdesign" in the Navigator

RenameBoard.gif

In the picture attached you can see that I have renamed the SCH to "experiment"

and I'm about to rename the BOARD to "experiment"

but if I do I will get warnings and maybe "break the links" errors (your words)

Nothing I've done to cause the warnings/errors has anything to do with a text editor

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong...

Maybe the question I should have asked is:

"How do I copy a design to a new design, and have the new design have NEW NAMES in the Navigator instead of the old ones?"

(or does every project in the Mentor universe have a "systemdesign" directory tree in it? ...smile)

• 11. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
                              robert_davies

Firstly you asked how to fix the broken links, assuming there are any, editing the files is the last resort. To avoid broken links do the renames in two steps:

You should do it in these steps:

Rename the board and Forward Annotate to Expedition, exit Expedition and save. Now rename the schematic to Experiment - then forward annotate to PCB - once more - you will get the warning about missing root schematic - FA will fix this.

• 12. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
                                Wim Creyghton

Would be nice if Mentor provided a tool, like the Job MGMT Wizard for Xpedition, which could do the xDx schematic renaming without opening xDx.

Now you can do that for the PCB but for the schematic you have to rename the Board and Schematic names inside xDx - Forward Annotate and check the log files if everything is ok .

• 13. Re: How to copy a xDx Designer - xPCB project
                                  robert_davies

Such a request should be posted on Ideas - however we were considering this at one stage but unfortunately the project never progressed.