8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2018 4:37 AM by ronny.graumann

How to add 3D models to cells in CENTRAL library?

lgalantai

Hi everyone!

I'd like to add a 3D model to a cell in the central library, but I can't find the way how. If I simply open the cell editor, select a component, click edit graphics, there is an option in the window drop down menu "Add 3D view", thus I can assign a 3D model from M3DL to the selected component. This works fine, just it only assigns the model to the local library, and when I open the cell editor in xDM library tools (central library) I do not have this option, so when I open a new project I have to do it again and again for every component. It would be great, to manage this through the central library, so the 3D models would appear automatically in every new project too. In the layout design if I go to 3D->Models->Update models it writes "No 3D model library available!", I thought the M3DL library should show up there as a "central" (?) 3D library, or do I have to create a model library myself? Please help me solve this issue.

Best regards from Hungary!

• 1. Re: How to add 3D models to cells in CENTRAL library?
          Vern_Wnek

Galántai

You are using what is called the "Designer Flow".

In this flow, all of the 3D Model Mappings are saved within the design project. There is currently no method in this flow to save the mappings to a Central location so they can be used between other designs, and the mappings must be done on a per design basis.

In the Enterprise Flow, xDM Library tools formerly know as DMS allow you to save the Model Mappings to the Central library. Contact your Mentor AE to provide more information on this flow and method, or you can view the link below for more information.

Link:

Central library to manage PCB systems - Mentor Graphics

Thanks,

Vern

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to add 3D models to cells in CENTRAL library?
            lgalantai

Hi Vern!

Thank you for the answer, I figured out, that my xDM library server is not turned on, that could be the problem. But I'm still trying to fix this, because I always getting errors if I try to turn the server on, like can't find Java SE Runtime Environment, can't find oci.dll, can't find java.dll. So still not solved, but in progress, I hope, if I get the server started it will work finally, thank's again!

Regards
            Lac

• 3. Re: How to add 3D models to cells in CENTRAL library?
              yth

later on versions,  "Designer Flow" ,able to or not save the Model Mappings to the Central library ? methinks save the Model Mappings to the Central library is conveniency. Thank!

• 4. Re: How to add 3D models to cells in CENTRAL library?
                lgalantai

I forgot to write to this post, that we managed to get the central library working. Now it's available to add the models to the library. I don't think "designer flow" is able to save the 3D models to the central lib., you have to manage it in the XDM Library Client software.

Regards,

Lac

• 5. Re: How to add 3D models to cells in CENTRAL library?
                  Jerry_Suiter

Hello,

This is a good question.  If your not using xDM Library (old DMS) you can not import/map and align 3D models at the library level.  The 3D Library Flow requires the xDM Library (DMS) system to manage 3D models and distribute them to the design community.

However we are enhancing our 3D Designer flow to allow 3D model imported/mapped and aligned within Xpedition Layout to be reused in other designs by pushing this information back into a centralized location that can be shared with other designs.  We do not concider this 3D Library Model management but more like Reuse and sharing between users/designs.  This should be released early next year.

Regards,

Jerry Suiter

Product Marketing Director Xpedition

• 6. Re: How to add 3D models to cells in CENTRAL library?
                    yth

xDM Library is complicated. I think save the Model Mappings to the Central library PDB  is conveniency, just like part mapping . Why don't?

• 7. Re: How to add 3D models to cells in CENTRAL library?
                      lgalantai

Yes, I have to say this too, xDM Library is really complicated, with a lots of server requirements, (datafusion, xdm, prosges... this and the handling makes it complicated). Once it's configured and you've learned to use it, it works fine, but its hard to get it done. Some simplification would be nice, or to add 3D models to the local library too, so if I want I can use the 3D models in all designs without the central library (of course, the central library simplification would be the best, it's the best way to use it as a developer of a bigger team).

Regards,
                      Lac

• 8. Re: How to add 3D models to cells in CENTRAL library?
                        ronny.graumann

Hi Jerry, any news available regarding the idea of enhancing the designer flow mode to have a centralized location other than (readonly) centrallib for 3D mapping information and possibility to share/use this between different projects?

thanks,

RG