1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 2:22 PM by Rehan_Iqbal

How to create symbols for semi configurable IC's, like i.MX6?

thomas.te.ebert

Today's ASIC controllers are highly configurable and are more a mixture between FPGA and standard IC microcontroller. An example of that new devices is the i.MX6 from Freescale. This chip has got about 625 pins. 32 of this pins are configurable and named as GPIO. Besides of this GPIO the chip has got many different interfaces. Not all of them are used in every application. The symbols of the chip have to be flexible enough for different applications. How could we create appropriate symbols for different applications?  Which tool should we take, xDX I/O Designer or Symbol Editor?

• 1. Re: How to create symbols for semi configurable IC's, like i.MX6?
          Rehan_Iqbal

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately, Freescale is not in the list of supported vendors for I/O Designer and I/O Optimizer. At this time, we only support Xilinx, Altera, Actel, and Lattice so you'll be unable to use these tools for managing the i.MX6. Your best bet for now is using Symbol Wizard and Library Manager - I recommend using File > Import Pins to bring in a CSV file to help create high pin-count fractures.

We are aware that these types of semi-fixed IC's are overlooked in the flow. I have heard we are looking at adapting some of our current tools (I/O Optimizer, Package Integrator, etc.) to create a mid-tier  solution which can handle these types of devices - stay tuned for more info.