2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2015 4:05 AM by kjoubert

Sometimes PADS logic sends through "random" clearance rules during an ECO update

kjoubert

I have noticed now a few times that when ECO'ing a schematic from Logic through to Layout, some of the rules get "corrupted". For instance I would have a clearance rules of 65 (mil) but it sends through 37.5 etc. I double check the rule setup and the values are correct however when I look at the ECO file, the values seem somewhat random or some kind of "average" between default and the rules I entered. I cannot really explain the values I see other than that they are completely wrong. The only way to "fix" the problem seems to be either deleting all the rules in Layout and Logic for that particular net, recreating them and ECO'ing through or deleting the relevant net, ECO'ing then recreating the net. This issue seems to have cropped up a number of times however I cannot establish any particular method to recreate it.

Any suggestions as to settings I should check?

I am using PADS vX.0

• 1. Re: Sometimes PADS logic sends through "random" clearance rules during an ECO update
          ampohms

Kirk,

I have an open SR and DR on a similar (maybe the same) issue.  Rules do not port correctly from PADS Logic to PADS Layout; DRC checks don't catch the violations.  The SR has been open since May 2014.  The problem was shelved and then reopened in June 2015, and I have had no update since then.  You should submit an SR for this.

Eric

• 2. Re: Sometimes PADS logic sends through "random" clearance rules during an ECO update
            kjoubert

I have come across this issue again in another design and looked deeper into it. It seems random nets are being grouped together in temporary netlist files that are generated during the eco.

The two files in question are:

ppcbnet.asc

padsnet.asc

In these files I see a "rule set" where one or more (random) nets have been grouped together to use the same rule. In Logic, the rules for these nets are different and there are no other "conditional" or "class" rules. Somewhere, these two nets have been logically linked in some manner and this seems to cause the Eco errors. I do not know what generates the two aforementioned files but even if I delete the affected nets and recreate them the same nets are re-linked together (even though they have different names). Is there any setting that can link or group nets together or is a bug just generating incorrect rule information?