5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 7:16 AM by tonyvalente

Pin swapping on different gates

tonyvalente

I have a 300 pin connector that I have created as 30 10-pin gates. Below is a portion of the .p file

GATE 1 10 1

CON_ETB

1 0 U GND

2 1 U N4_C0

3 1 U N0_C0

4 1 U N0_C1

5 1 U N4_C1

6 1 U N5_C0

7 1 U N1_C0

8 1 U N1_C1

9 0 U N5_C1

10 0 U N6_C0

GATE 1 10 1

CON_ETB

11 0 U GND

12 1 U N2_C0

13 1 U N2_C1

14 0 U N6_C1

15 0 U N7_C0

16 1 U N3_C0

17 1 U N3_C1

18 0 U N7_C1

19 1 U N4_C2

20 1 U N0_C2

What I am looking to do is swap pin 2 with say pin 16. I am doing convenience routing and want to be able to swap the pins in the layout. What do I need to do in order to be able to swap pins from one gate to another?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Pin swapping on different gates
          jduquette

In the Part Information dialog, set your swap value for the pins you want swappable to a non zero value.  In your example, pins 2 and pin 16 should have a swap value of 1 (or some other nonzero number).  Other sets of pins can have other swap values. 

Be forewarned that Logic is messy if you back annotate pin swaps; it will swap the pins on the decal instead of swapping the nets (1 16 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 2 17).  Maybe this is fixed in newer versions of Logic...

When I need to do this I typically connect all the swappable pins with off page symbols, and then I can swap the nets by hand and ECO Compare against the layout to verify everything matches.

• 2. Re: Pin swapping on different gates
            tonyvalente

Thanks. However, here is what is happening:

I have given all the pins I wish to be swappable with the value of 1 (in the example given). When I am in ECO mode and I select a pin from Gate 1 (pins 1-10), the pins that highlight as being swappable are only in Gate 1. When I select a pin from Gate 2 (pins 11-20), there are no pins that highlight as being swappable. It is as if once a value is given for the swap value to pins on one gate, that same value can not be used on another gate. That is why I was wondering if I am missing some setting somewhere else.

BTW:

For these connections I am using an Off-Page symbol with the netname. When I was able to swap pins, it just moved the netname to its new location.

• 3. Re: Pin swapping on different gates
              tonyvalente

UPDATE

Figured out part of my problem. The part was not updating correctly.  Now what is happening is that I can only swap pins within a particular gate. I am not able to swap pins between gates.

• 4. Re: Pin swapping on different gates
                jduquette

PADS Logic User Guide says "A pin can be swapped with any other pin within the gate that has the same swap class number." 

The ASCII (ECO) command to swap pins is "*SWPPINS* REFDES PIN1.PIN2".  It doesn't have refdes info for each gate so swapping between gates is beyond the capability of Logic (looks like a topic for Bright IDeas).  You'll have to do it manually.  I wonder if DxD does any better?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Pin swapping on different gates
                  tonyvalente

Thanks for the help.

I was afraid I might have to do it manually.