6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 3:24 PM by dalej

Pads show up as hatch, WHY???

boris

On bottom layer of my board I have 2 components (large ~0.5" pads for battery contacts).

I also have text "LAYER 2" with width of 0.020"

When I got to generate gerbers the battery pads show up as hatched area, why....? They should be completely solid, they are nothing but a rectangular pads, not fills / floods...

If I change the "LAYER 2" text width to 0.001 or get rid of the text all together, the pads show up correctly.

Can somebody explain what is going on? I've looked through all of the CAM settings and can't find anything that will make sense. It's like PADS picks 0.020" thick pen for everything on that layer if "LAYER 2" text is at 0.020

BadPads.jpg

GoodPads.jpg

Thank you,

Boris.

• 1. Re: Pads show up as hatch, WHY???
          jduquette

Check your hatch grid setting in <Tools><Options>(Grids and Snap - Grids tab).  It looks like you have it set to about 40-50 mils. 

From the help page:

Tip: Copper, copper pour, and plane areas are filled with lines on the hatch grid. When the Drafting option Default width matches the Copper hatch grid, the result is a solid. When the default width less than the grid value, the result is a hatch pattern.

• 2. Re: Pads show up as hatch, WHY???
            boris

The hatch grid is set to 1, but hatch should have no effect on this pad.

The two rectangles are components with a single pad decal. The footprint should always show up as solid and not hatched sine a part will be soldered on top.

• 3. Re: Pads show up as hatch, WHY???
              jduquette

Are they copper shapes 'associated' with the pads? 

What is visible through the hatch in your first picture?

• 4. Re: Pads show up as hatch, WHY???
                boris

They are NOT copper shapes, the rectangles are the pads.

1) Make a part with a single rectangular pad footprint

2) Add two of these parts to the design (net list import)

Once again, these are not copper pours, copper areas. It is just like a pad for a surface mount resistor, only in this case the part has one pad and it is large.

What you see under the hatch are "via-in-pad" and routing traces.

Boris.

• 5. Re: Pads show up as hatch, WHY???
                  jim.granville

The hatch grid is set to 1, but hatch should have no effect on this pad.

The two rectangles are components with a single pad decal. The footprint should always show up as solid and not hatched sine a part will be soldered on top.

PADS will shift from Flash/Drag plotting, to copper fill in some situations  (eg spin a std SMD part 45' (non orthogonal), and it changes to copper fill)

I think you may have triggered that plot-change, either with the unusually large size, or maybe the radius corners ?

Once you change to copper-fill, there is a PAD Fill Width number in CAM & with Augment on the fly ticked, it seems to auto-scale the PAD Fill stroke  grid when I change Fill-Width.

• 6. Re: Pads show up as hatch, WHY???
                    dalej

I must ask what might be a silly question, are you creating this part in a library? If you are and the pad size is defined properly it will be rectangle with sharp corners. See below. The pads here are Rectangle .50 x .55