1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 10:44 AM by ken_foster

Symbol Editor in xDX Designer VX.1.1

ryb8723

I am a new user of xDX designer VX.1.1 which I have as a PADS netlist flow. I do not have a PADS layout tool.

I have successfully linked a sample netlist library to my project but now I would like to add and/or edit the schematic symbols. I have

several components that would need added, but I just want to create symbols that a layout service bureau will complete with cells, padstacks etc..

So when I go to FILE-- NEW --- Library Symbol (or Local Symbol) the Symbol Editor tool

opens. But the Symbol Editor window is all gray and has no functionality.

So my questions are the following:

1) Is there another way to create/edit symbols in xDX designer? Am I doing it correctly?

2) Do I have to have a license for the PADS layout tool in order to create symbols?

Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Symbol Editor in xDX Designer VX.1.1
          ken_foster

Ryan,

If you are editing symbols within xDX Designer you should not need an additional license. That would only be required if you wanted to use the xDM Library Tool stand-alone.

I'm not an expert in the use of the tools, so I can't speak to the various ways you might be able to create symbols, but anytime I've done it for testing purposes I've use the xDM Library Tool (Tools > xDM Library Tools). When invoked from within xDX Designer, it doesn't need an additional license. 

If that isn't what you are looking for, then you may want to open a service request or post on the xDX Designer community.

Best regards,

Ken Foster

Mentor Graphics Global Support and Services