1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 12, 2015 5:17 AM by robert.berrington

is it possible to make the Group which include the Trace/via/shape ??

k.r.kabaleeswaran

Hi everyone,

i have to make group which include the trace/Via/Shape in any one of the method (Union,Array,Cluster).In all the method i can Create the Group of components only.but i could not add the trace/Via/Shape in that group.please suggest.in my design i need to make lot of group to move section.

• 1. Re: is it possible to make the Group which include the Trace/via/shape ??
          robert.berrington

Yes! You can define the group as a Reuse Block. This will retain all the components/routing/vias/shapes you select.

PADS will still require you to save the Reuse Block to a file. I highly recommend you do this. That way it becomes a "back-up" if something happens.

You may need to redefine the origin of the Reuse Block. Select the reuse, <right-click> and select "Reset Origin". Once you've clicked a location, <right-click> and select "Save To File..." to update the *.reu file with the new origin.

!!! Important !!! Download and install VX.1.1 Update 1. There's a major bug I found in VX.1 and back as far as PADS 9.5 where opening the design in PADS Router corrupts the reuse block. This has been fixed and works in VX.1.1 Update 1.

Other tricks you may find helpful.

1. Moving Reuse Blocks ... Select the Reuse Block, then open the properties (or <alt-enter>). You'll have the X | Y window to set the location, or even glue it down so it can't be moved.
          2. Adding items to the Reuse Block ... Select the Reuse Block, then break it (<right-click> "Break Reuse"). Leave everything selected, then select the items you want to add, then re-make the Reuse Block. (Don't forget to set the origin. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes not.)
          3. Removing items from the Reuse Block ... Select the Reuse Block, then break it (<right-click> "Break Reuse"). Leave everything selected, then select the items you want to remove, then re-make the Reuse Block.
          4. Define Reuse Blocks to terminate a pins/vias. (Funny things can happen if you try to define a Reuse Block ending at a trace segment.)

Caveat on removing items from a Reuse Block ... PADS gets funny in selecting elements. If you're trying to remove a part so you can move/re-route it, you may have to repeat these steps a second/third time in order to grab all the route segments.

The design I'm working on currently has 1950 parts and nearly 100 Reuse Blocks managed in this fashion. Some Reuse Block are "copy-paste" circuits, while others are unique.

I added "drafting" lines to an unused routing layer so I could line everything up. I also added these drafting lines to the Reuse Block.

(I've suggested some improvements to Mentor. Go to PADS Ideas and vote "up" those related to Reuse Blocks!)

1 of 1 people found this helpful