I started a design that consists of two identical circuits placed on a PCB. Call them circuit 1 and circuit 2. There is one common connector (the edge connector on the right of the PCB, as seen in Figure 1 below). I have already placed and routed circuit 1 as seen in Figure 1. I haven't done schematic entry nor placement for the identical circuit 2 yet. I want to place it below the middle white line on the PCB in Figure 1.
Laying out circuit 1 was, well..., painful. I'm new at this and have always done flat designs. My question is, can I copy the layout for circuit 1 and paste it into the circuit 2 location.
I think I need to convert to a hierarchical design.
Here's what I think I need to do:
1. In DxDesigner, make the already-existing flat design for circuit 1 into a block which can be reused.
2. Create a top-level schematic sheet onto which the blocks will be instantiated along with the common connector.
3. Instantiate two blocks onto the top-level schematic sheet. One for circuit 1 and one for circuit 2.
My questions are:
1. Will I be able to retain placement and routing that I have already done for circuit 1?
2. Will I be able to copy that placement and routing which I had done for circuit 1 to circuit 2?
3. Is there documentation I can refer to? If so, please provide a link.
Figure 1 - Showing Circuit 1 placed and routed on PCB (Circuit 2 has yet to be placed, will go below the middle line)