8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 7:39 AM by Rob

True Type Font for Silkscreen

Rob

I've been trying to output true type font from the silkscreen generator with no success. All the silkscreen generator does is outline the true type font. I come from a PADS background and have used true type font on many designs with no issues, is it possible to use true type fonts  on the silkscreen in Xpedition VX 1.1? If so, how?

• 1. Re: True Type Font for Silkscreen
          MaBUa

Hello Rob,

I stopped to use a true type font in silkscreen a few years ago and now I use STD-PROPORTIONAL font.... try it.

May be it help you

MaBUa

• 2. Re: True Type Font for Silkscreen
            charles.ietswaard1

Hello Rob,

For Silkscreen, we always use the 'vf_std' font. What you see is what you get.

• 3. Re: True Type Font for Silkscreen
              MikeD

Try the checkbox in the Draw Mode properties window. TTF will not work with the silkscreen generator

• 4. Re: True Type Font for Silkscreen
                Rob

Thanks for the response guys. I spent about a week trying to figure out whether True Type font was possible in Xpedition with support net, they were very helpful. The short answer is NO, and this bothers me as a user since PADS, a middle level CAD tool and sold by Mentor, has done TT font on silkscreen since at least 2010. I am not sure what the the problem is and why Mentor has not implement this feature but when I talked to support it didn't seem to a big deal.

• 5. Re: True Type Font for Silkscreen
                  herbiemama

Hello,

I also recommend Vector Fonts but I'm confused that you cannot use TT fonts. I have generated silkscreen and Gerber as a test and they appear to work. I tried a few different styles here. What version of software are you using? This was done in VX1.2

snap.jpg

• 6. Re: True Type Font for Silkscreen
                    Rob

I'm using VX1.1 and for now I am using the vector fonts.

The silkscreen generator will output the True Type font but it is only the outlined font not filled in. The TT fonts I have tried were Arial, and Centaur, both where outlined and did not look good.

• 7. Re: True Type Font for Silkscreen
                      herbiemama

snap.jpg

Have I got the wrong Font Style? I don't see the Centaur font

• 8. Re: True Type Font for Silkscreen
                        Rob

TT Font Gerber.png

This is taken from a gerber file that was generated using PADS, as you can see it's True Type font (Arial). In your picture the silkscreen generator outlines and rounds the corners of the font, this is not what I am looking for. I want the graphic font (before silkscreen generator) in the design file to look the same in the gerber file. Xpedition cannot do it at this time hopefully they can migrate this feature from PADS to Xpedition in the near future.

My concern is not so much with Ref Des font but other labels that I add to the silkscreen layers, such as warning labels. Once the True Type font is large enough that you start to see the outline the label starts to look like crap.