4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 3:03 PM by MENTOR_Shannonk

Migration stopped because of problems with WIR files generation

guangxing.li

hello everyone,

i'v download a schematic project from xilinx. they provide this schematic project in dxdesigner format. i installed pads9.3 and use it to open the project.

the new dxdesigner tells me to upgrade the project into new format. i click ok, but very soon error is coming, it tells that "Migration stopped because of problems with WIR files generation".

i searched a lot information without happy result. i need your help. please tell me how to open the project.

• 1. Re: Migration stopped because of problems with WIR files generation
          cathy_terwedow

Guangxing, I've moved your question to the PADS > Schematic Design community where it should get a quicker response. Best regards, Cathy

• 2. Re: Migration stopped because of problems with WIR files generation
            Gary_Lameris

Unfortunately many of the Xilinx schematic downloads are not complete with missing symbols and files.  This was one of the reasons driving the architecture change Mentor Graphics initiated with the 2007 release of DxDesigner, moving designs from hundreds if not thousands of files into an integrated database.  Designs are much easier to share with cached parts and minimal files.

First all the symbols need to exist, and if they represent a part they must be of type module,

Second, complete wir files need to be created for the design, later versions of PADS perform this step automatically.  I have attached a command line wir file generator in check.zip   Use the readme.txt for instructions.

Even then you may not be successful as many of the downloads are not complete.

• 3. Re: Migration stopped because of problems with WIR files generation
              guangxing.li

Thanks for your reply. I'v used your tool, but it failed too. To my surprise, it's too weird to explain the exact reason. The detail is that  I have the same work environments, one is in office desktop, the other is laptop at home. The two platforms run the same operating system, windows 10, and installed the same tool software, mentor graphics, pads 9.5.  I tried to open the same project. On my desktop computer, pads tell that "Migration stopped because of problems with WIR files generation", On my laptop, pads opened it successfully, but with warning "CNS file cannot be loaded", anyway, the project is opened, to my surprise.

The next step I am going to do is to export the EDIF schematic. Then another problem occurred to me. In EDIF writer dialog, the "configuration file" text line is empty, and i don't know which one is the configuration file. Without the configuration file, exporting is failed. The procedure of exporting EDIF schematic is the known thing I'v done before, without any problem. I remember that it has a configuration file automatically assigned when open the EDIF writer dialog. But i don't know anything is wrong have emptied the configuration file text line. Without assignment of configuration file, the procedure of exporting EDIF is always failed. Please tell me why. thanks.

• 4. Re: Migration stopped because of problems with WIR files generation
                MENTOR_Shannonk

That error about the CNS file isn't related to the EDIF generator... It means that there isn't a Layout tool defined in Setup > Settings > Project which in turn means there isn't a cns file loaded.

There still doesn't need to be a config file for the EDIF Schematic Writer.

These tools have not been tested on Windows 10 therefore not really any surprise that there may be issues. It still looks like it didn't migrate properly.