9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 7:45 AM by benradu

How to reassign a 3d model?

benradu

Hi,

I assigned a 3d model to a component and saved to library. The help says

Restriction:

You cannot reassign a 3D model to a part if the part is already saved in the library with a 3D model.

So Mentor, please, I have a better model for my part, how can I use it?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to reassign a 3d model?
          wheelspcb

Ben from testing forum. See below.

PADS VX12 - unable to change models                                                    

Radoslaw_Tomala     Proficient

Once a model assignment / alignment was pushed to the library via Update Library functionality - it cannot be changed in PADS VX.1.2 release.

We are planning to improve it in PADS VX.2                   

• Re: PADS VX12 - unable to change models                            
            John Wheeler     Advanced
            Workaround is open other design and save correct model to library. They you can go back to first design and update from library.

• 2. Re: How to reassign a 3d model?
            benradu

Well, thanks for trying to help. But it doesn't work.

When I open another design the 3d models are automatically read from the reuse location so it's no use.

I tried starting Layout, changing the reuse location and then I created a board with that component on it.

I assigned the new model, changed the reuse location in the options to the shared one and saved. It appeared to work for a moment but then guess what, the old model came back.

Any other ideas?

• 3. Re: How to reassign a 3d model?
              benradu

I found a way!

In the reuse folder Layout creates a folder structure that includes folder with the same mane as the old model. I deleted them.

Then I deleted the _PCB folder sitting beside the pcb file. Then I opened the design, the component doesn't have a 3d model anymore so I could assign the new one and then save to library.

Layout also crashes 7-8 times in 10 when I open the 3d view. I have an SR open with no solution yet.

Mentor, please fix this software asap.

We paid for the upgrade, we paid for maintenance every year, we deserve better.

• 4. Re: How to reassign a 3d model?
                wheelspcb

Ben,

Attached are details how I updated the reuse library Follow the instructions and it should work when using different step file.

John W.

• 5. Re: How to reassign a 3d model?
                  wheelspcb

I did not include all the steps in the first document. This is similar to what Ben has did now. I don't have any crashes the way I did it.

• 6. Re: How to reassign a 3d model?
                    benradu

Yes, your second pdf describes what I was talking about. Thanks for putting it together.

But I am not going to mark this as the correct answer because it is a painful workaround that we are not supposed to go through.

Mentor should now that this is not working and that the workaround is not an acceptable solution.

My Layout crashes almost every time when I open the 3d view with or without a file opened.

Fatal run-time error. Press OK to close the program.

Reboot, reinstall... doesn't help at all.

Support is silent for two days now after the initial response.

• 7. Re: How to reassign a 3d model?
                      wheelspcb

Here is a better and quicker method I found that works without crashing. Almost same as Ben.

First remove two folders that have the name of the currently used Model Name of the part you want to change.
                      There are two folders one is in Resue folder xxxxx\Reuse\3DModels\PartDB\Packages and the other is in xxxxx\Reuse\3DModels\PartDB\User

Remove file  *.xtd that has the same as the current model. It is in the current folder design folder xxxxx\3D\Input

I do not delete a _PCB

You can now resign new model.

• 8. Re: How to reassign a 3d model?
                        wheelspcb

Try the solution I just added. I have no crashes.

• 9. Re: How to reassign a 3d model?
                          benradu

The crashes are not related to the attempts to reassign a 3d model.

I should not have mixed the two problems in the same thread. I guess I was just venting my frustration with the latest and greatest gift from Mentor.