6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 1:42 AM by robert_davies

DxDatabook problems // Library problems

andreas-lechner@stud.fh-rosenheim.de

Hello,

in the DxDatabook I have a lot of problems in the verfication of components window (zero matches, multiple matches, cannot find library).

I use the HLA Library template and didn't change the "Location" and "Central Library" paths. Is this a potential problem? Should I change the path? Can I change the path now without problems in my project (I did schematic already)?

1.) All my own parts have "?" ("cannot find library") marker in DxDatabook verification window. I designed them in the parts editor -> new parts -> enter part number of the part. If double click in verification window -> errormessage: "The loaded symbol bjt:BCR is not included in the list of valid symbols for this component. The component has been loaded, but the symbos previewer has not been set." Any idea what this means?

2.) All copied parts which i copied in the part editor are red marked (zero matches).

(I copied them from existing parts in the CENTRAL LIBRARY in library manager (named HLA_CentralLibrary))

3.) If I use the original existing parts directly from HLA_CentralLibrary (this is the only library in my library editor window, should there be more?), then there is only a yellow marker (multiple matches).

Something must be wrong with my library usage? Or are there some wrong settings in my library template? I use the HLA_Library template and didn't change the "Location" and "Central Library" paths.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: DxDatabook problems // Library problems
          charles.ietswaard1

Andreas,

The DxDatabook verification is controlled by the DxDatabook configuration file. This configuration file is stored in the library and can be edited there.

- Select the lmc file in the "Library navigator Tree", click the RMB and select "Edit DxDatabook Configuration.."

- The "Configure" window will open.

Now you can do the DxDatabook Configuration.

dxd.jpg

In order to

• 2. Re: DxDatabook problems // Library problems
            robert_davies

You will probably find that there is no entry in the parametric database for the parts you added to the Central Library. The library is in two parts, the Central Library comprising symbols, cells, Pad Stacks and Parts and a separate 'Parametric' library (actually an Access database) of properties that get added to parts during placement in schematic. If you create a new part in the Central Library you need to add the corresponding parametric data - in the Library Manager interface in the Parts tree of the Navigator select the new part you added and then choose the 'Edit parametric data' option from the right mouse button context menu. This will add the part to the parametric database and you can fill in the necessary  fields for the part. Note you do not need to have MS Access on your machine to do this.

• 3. Re: DxDatabook problems // Library problems

Screenshot_13.png

Thank you for your answer. I have some questions to discuss.

I want to use "From a symbol library only" managing, as stated in this text of the picture above.

So I only can use CL View as stated below, is that right?

Screenshot_11.png

Without ODBC Database I don't need a Configuration File, is it right? (picture below)

Screenshot_12.png

I did your suggested procedure (and the one of the other person above), but I got the following problems (see also the pictures below):

I had to make a New DxDatabook Configuration, because there was no Configuration associated with this Central Library (should I have done this before? But where and how?).

I created an empty configuration (first option). What do you think, could I use the second option (copy an existing configuration)?

Screenshot_7.png

After that, I have to fill out the following dialog. HLA_CentralLibrary Properties:

What does "Symbol Attribute for PDB Part Number" mean?

Screenshot_8.png

Now I have the configure window in front of me. But how do I get it to work for me?

There are no entrys to modify for me. Something must be missing. Update All button has no effect.

Screenshot_9.png

Thank you.

• 4. Re: DxDatabook problems // Library problems
                charles.ietswaard1

andreas-lechner@stud.fh-rosenheim.de wrote:

I want to use "From a symbol library only" managing, as stated in this text of the picture above.

So I only can use CL View as stated below, is that right?

That is correct!

Without ODBC Database I don't need a Configuration File, is it right? (picture below)

That is correct, But you will only have the CLView available.  If you want to use DxDatabook you need a configuration file to store the DxDatabook settings. The extension of this file is .dbc. It is created when you start with the DxDatabook configuration.

A big advantage of using DxDatabook is the posibilitie to verify a design. The system will verify that all the properties that you require are indeed present on the part, and are correct.

Before starting the configuration you need to set up the ODBC connection to the database holding the properties

that you want to add/use. This is done by "Start->Control Panel->System and Security->Administrative Tools->Data Sources (ODBC).

Without this setup you cannot connect to the external database.

I created an empty configuration (first option). What do you think, could I use the second option (copy an existing configuration)?

You can only use the second option if you have an existing DxDatobook environment. If you don't have that, you must start from scratch.

What does "Symbol Attribute for PDB Part Number" mean?

In the DxDatabook database you can add the symbol that you want to use on the schematic for a part. But you can also configure the system to use an existing property that is already on the part. I prefer to use a property that is already on the part, ie means that I cannot make any typo's here.

We use the 'Part Number' property because that is unique for every part and always available in the library. DxDatabook wil look for the Part Number and gets the symbol name for that part.

Now I have the configure window in front of me. But how do I get it to work for me?

There are no entrys to modify for me. Something must be missing. Update All button has no effect.

Screenshot_9.png

When you start with a new configuration, it will use the Part Partitions in the Library to create a DxDatabook configuration file.

This is what the pictures shows.  These are the 'libraries' that are show in the DxDatabook window in DxDesigner.

But You have to add the links to the data that you want DxDatabook to add.

In order to do so, you have to select a line in the left window.  Now you can click on the the 'Add Table" button on the top. This will open

a new window where you can select the DxDatabook database (if the ODBC settings are configured) and select the table from the

DxDatabase.

pic1.bmp

You have to do this for all the entries. Finally you will end up with something like this.

pic2.bmp

In the right table you can control  how the different properties are loaded on the symbol in DxDesigner and

how they will be handled during a DxDatabook verification.  This is nicely explained in the documentation. So just

click the help button on this.

It took me some time to understand how it works, I would recommend to start  on a copy of the library and play around a bit, until you are familiar with this. And than start for real.

Regards, Charles.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DxDatabook problems // Library problems

Thanks, Charles.

How would it work, if I only use a standard library configuration without DxDataBook (picture below). I think it would be ok because I have only a little project (for now).

I made my own parts in the part editor and placed them via CL View in the schematic. How can I forward annotate to Expedition PCB? Because my (own) parts are not shown in the place parts and cells window in PCB. Only the original parts of my central library are placeable in PCB.

What does the following mean in practise for me: "This process also requires the creation of numerous extra schematic symbols?"

As far as I know a symbol can be re-used limitless in the part editor?

Thank you very much in advance, Charles.

Screenshot_15.png

• 6. Re: DxDatabook problems // Library problems
                    robert_davies

The Central Library is self contained - it includes all data necessary for layout, and you can add some parametric data in there instead of using a separate database and DataBook. For example you can add Value and/or tolerance to parts and have this information annotated to the symbol on placement in the schematic - there is an option in the Property Definition Editor in Library Manager to have properties annotated on 'Part Placement', the check box to the left in the main pane of the Property Definition Editor dialog.

if you only use the Central Library and no other database then DataBook will only show the Central Library content (CL View). This is divided into 'Part View' and 'Symbol View'. The Part View shows the symbols and parts that have been fully defined in the library, from here you can place parts with the properties from the 'PDB' ( the Part database). The symbol view shows just the symbol without the part (package) data, in this view you will also see symbols that don't go to layout such as sheet borders and power supplies.