3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 1:48 AM by robert_davies

Packager without xDM Lib Parts (but with xDx Databook Parts)

xtence

Hi,

Hope s.o. looking there.

I'm using "netlist" project until now, and i'm trying to use now "integrated" project. I success with the "Starter Library" ( create a simple schematic, transfer to layout and generate gerbers...)

But now i would like to use my own xDM lib and my own Databook (office access). I created my xDM Lib from my Symbols Libs and Footprints Libs. But now, i cannot package my schematics cause :

ERROR: There is no Part Number: capcms_100nF_1206_200V in the Parts
      DataBase for symbols with Part Name: (null) and Part Label: (null).

[Please add the Part Number to the PDB either directly
      or by having the project file point to a PDB that contains it.]

Of course, i know i didn't create a new part in xDM Lib for every simple new resistor that i declare in my access database linked with my xDx Databook.

There is a way to avoid the "parts" checking of xDM Lib ot generate the packaging ?

For me it's quite strange to have to create a new part in xDM Lib for every new component added in my access database. Especially for common cms resistors or capacitors. In my mind , xDM is usefull for "symbols" and "Decals" (footprint), and xDx Databook is used to do the link between both (means "Parts" )

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Packager without xDM Lib Parts (but with xDx Databook Parts)
          robert_davies

The library requires unique parts for successful packaging, usually by creating  a unique part per resistor or capacitor for example and they require three pieces of data, Part Number (DEVICE in the netlist flow), Part Label (doesn't have to be unique) and Part Name (usually the same as the symbol name and often defined as P/D_NUM or PART_NAME in the netlist flow). However, if you have an existing set of symbol libraries and a parametric database, in your case MS Access, then you can get the library translator to build this set of library entries for you based on the two pieces of data. When translating the symbol libraries include the database tables as well in the dialog, the translator/migrator is smart enough then to build each part for you, including the Part Label/Part Name if you map a property across to those entries. The underlying packager requires this triplicate entry to uniquely identify the part.

Based on your example naming convention then you need a unique entry per part, though they can share the same symbol.

If you have VX.1.2 then the supplied starter libraries show how this is done - both in the netlist flow and the integrated flow.

• 2. Re: Packager without xDM Lib Parts (but with xDx Databook Parts)
            xtence

Thanks a lot four your answer,

So, if I understand : a new entry in my MS Access Base requires a new part in xDM Lib. Database managment of components becomes less efficient.

I will wait a better solution before switch xDM Lib, it's quite long to create a new part for every new simple resistor. Maybe, one day something like MS Access database will be include inside xDM Lib.

• 3. Re: Packager without xDM Lib Parts (but with xDx Databook Parts)
              robert_davies

Part creation and update to your Access database is already included in the tools, you do this from the Central Library navigator - create your new part then use the 'Edit Parametric data' command from the right mouse button context menu to populate that part into the access database and fill in the missing information. See Paramteric1 & Parametric2 attached.

If you are working in the opposite direction - Access to Central Library then there might be some utilities on the automation community.

As you already have the symbol library and Access database you could run the 'Central Library Migrator' again to create a new library (just rename or backup your old one) and use the options as shown in the attached. Add symbol libraries (if you use an existing project these get picked up from the project file) and add your existing DxDataBook configuration file (*.dbc), see pictures CLMigration 1 to 3 attached.