4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 7:51 AM by Jack

Copper Pour not flooding solid

andrewz

I have a couple of copper pours on my PCB that keep showing up as real fine grids, and they also look like that in the Gerbers.  I ran into this a long time ago and thought that it had something to do with line thicknesses and grid size, but haven't had any luck fixing it this time.   Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Andrew

• 1. Re: Copper Pour not flooding solid
          andrewz

I figured it out.  It was the line width in the Drafting Properties for the pour outline.   Just had to pose the question i guess....

• 2. Re: Copper Pour not flooding solid
            Jack

Would you mind explaining what you mean by "It was the line width in the Drafting Properties for the pour outline"?

What makes me nervous about your answer is that sometimes I change the line width for pours so it can do a better job of pouring between features (and not leave "slots" in the plane), but I wouldn't want my pours to be hatched.

Why wouldn't a smaller line width cause the pour to draw the lines closer together, instead of leaving gaps?

• 3. Re: Copper Pour not flooding solid
              andrewz

Hi Jack,

The setting I am referring to is shown below.  When I have it set to 1 my flood area will have the mesh patter shown to the right of it, and will show in the Gerber file the same way.

Now when I change the line width to 25 the flood is solid, and looks correct in the Gerber.

I talked to a support guy about this a few years ago and was told that it was in relation to line width being small to something else but I don’t remember what that was.  It wouldn’t be a big deal if it didn’t mess with Gerber data but since it dose I keep an eye out for it.  This is really all i know about it.  I don't know why this happens.

• 4. Re: Copper Pour not flooding solid
                Jack

Unless I am misunderstanding, that behavior is VERY different than what I've seen (I'm still on AutoActiveRE, unfortunately)

If you use a 25mil line width to draw your planes, the copper will not be able to fit through the spaces between through-hole vias

(unless you use an absurd via-to-via spacing rule) .

The planes on our designs would look more like swiss cheese than good copper fill.

There HAS to be a way to set a smaller aperture and still have a solid plane

sorry I could not help you,

Jack (aka "the new guy")