6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2017 7:00 PM by jimvr4

IPC Netlist in Vx.1.x

michel.bazinet

Hi,

I'm having troubles generating an IPC netlist like I'm use to in EE7.9.5 and earlier version.  I don't have Fablink and we do not plan to buy it only to generate Netlist files.

How do you manage to send a netlist to your PCB fab?  They told me they can extract a netlist from your gerbers or from the ODB++ files but it's not as safe as generating it with the IPC-D-356 option from Report Writer.

If it is possible, do you know if it's the latest netlist (I think it's IPC-D-356b, which include blind, buried and uvia)?

Michel.

• 1. Re: IPC Netlist in Vx.1.x
          Jackie_D

Hello Michel,

If you were able to export IPC-356 in EE7.9.5, you should also be able to do the same in VX.1.2 release.
          With Report Writer you can export IPC-356, and with FablinkXE license you can export IPC-356-B, which as you say includes blind & buried vias.

Why do you say that netlist from ODB++ is not as safe as from Report Writer? With ODB++ you have a complete representation of the design including netlist. Most fab shops can import ODB++ data now. Trying to extract a netlist from Gerbers and NCDrill would not be a safe way to do it, and in the case of using Gerbers, it would be recommended to send the fab shop a separate netlist to enable them to check the design against a known good netlist.

Best regards

Jackie

• 2. Re: IPC Netlist in Vx.1.x
            michel.bazinet

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for your quick answer.  In EE7.9.5 I was able to generate IPC-D-356 netlist through Report Writer.  In Vx1.1 and Vx1.2 When I try to go under Physical Board Data, instead of letting me choose what I want to do, it seem to generate a bunch of VBCBP.* files.  I do not find any IPC file there.

Concerning the ODB++ I was told by a PCB fab that the netlist included is approximately the same than the one they can extract from the gerbers and they still recommend me to give them a separate IPC-356 netlist.

I've contacted some prototypes PCB fab recently and I was been told they don't work with ODB++ files so I had to generate gerbers for them.  I try to standardize our process since it seem impossible for me to generate IPC netlist with the lates VX1.1 and 1.2 expedition software.  To my point of view shall be included in any pcb software because PCB fab ask for it.

Can you help?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: IPC Netlist in Vx.1.x
              Jackie_D

Hi Michel,

It sounds like Report Writer GUI does not start for you at all? IPC export is in Tools - Launcher same as it always was.
              Are you using VX on Linux or the Windows 64-bit install?
              If Windows 64-bit you will need to install Report Writer separately (see the Installation guide on SupportNet).
              If Linux, you will need to copy the VBCBP files onto a Windows system and use Report Writer there as it is only available on Windows.

Hope this helps,

Jackie

• 4. Re: IPC Netlist in Vx.1.x
                michel.bazinet

Hi Jackie,

I'm using Window 64 bit and I've installed Mentor Xpedition Vx1.2 package.  Can you please, point me where is this installation guide on SupportNet.  I've browse for a while now and I just find a technote saying that report writer (Vx .1) was in 32 bits and it seem to be a problem... (https://supportnet.mentor.com/portal?do=reference.technote&id=MG588629&lang=en&prod=C107-S123-G192-P10287)  Now we are 2 majors release further do we still have to face the same issue?

Thanks for helping me.

• 5. Re: IPC Netlist in Vx.1.x
                  Jackie_D

Hello Michel,

That technote is not reporting a problem, more a statement of fact.
                  Report Writer is a 32-bit application and therefore needs to be installed separately to the 64-bit applications when the 64-bit install media is used.
                  The document I was referring to is the Xpedition Enterprise Installation Guide:

https://supportnet.mentor.com/docs/201509015/release_docs/pdfdocs/EE_vX12_install.pdf

See the section starting page 5 that discusses the use of both on the same system.

Best regards

Jackie

• 6. Re: IPC Netlist in Vx.1.x
                    jimvr4

Hi Jackie,

This post was very helpful to me.  I installed the 32 bit version and then found Report Writer available in the Start Menu.  I loaded the full suite because I was unsure which portion of the installer bundle included Report Writer.  Upon first run Report Writer did not have the IPC356.exe configured in the tool launcher but I found it by looking at the Physical Tool and SDF generators which were present.

Regards...Jim