9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 3:41 PM by dan_liddell

Calibre PERC problem

roseriver

Hi,

I am trying out Calibre PERC flow with a simple rule to look for a cell name "pnp" in layout. After running, I got the error message

Nothing in layout...

Also, I looked at the layout netlist (hp_test_dummy.sp). It is empty !!

Do I do anything wrong ??

Regards,

Ha

Capture2.PNG

• 1. Re: Calibre PERC problem
          dan_liddell

Hello Ha,

The problem is your specified layout netlist doesn't have anything in it. There could be a number of reasons for this. Possibly an incorrectly specified layout or a rule file that isn't properly configured for layout netlist extraction.

Calibre Interactive creates an _<rule-file-name>_ header file. What does this file show please?

dan

• 2. Re: Calibre PERC problem
            roseriver

Hi Dan,

Here is the rule file show:

Regards,

Ha

• 3. Re: Calibre PERC problem
              dan_liddell

Thanks Ha.

I presume that hp_test_dummy.calibre.db (this is actually a GDS file) has layout data in it. If not, that needs to be resolved.

The next thing I would suggest is to try this in a shell terminal:

% calibre -spice layout.spi myrules |tee log

Check the log file for any warnings or other discrepancies. If there are any, try to fix them and run it again until the log file is clean. Then look at layout.spi. Does the netlist appear correct?

dan

• 4. Re: Calibre PERC problem
                roseriver

Hi Dan,

I believe that hp_test_dummy.caliber.db has data in it. But hp_test_dummy.sp has none. I don't know why ?

What is layout.spi file ?? How can I create it ?

Regards,

Ha

• 5. Re: Calibre PERC problem
                  dan_liddell

Hi Ha,

More than likely, the problem is your rule file isn't sufficient for circuit extraction. You need to have circuit extraction rules in order for the netlist to get extracted properly. If necessary, you can include them using an INCLUDE statement in your rule header file.

layout.spi is simply the name of a SPICE file that 'calibre –spice' creates. I wanted to see if you could successfully extract a SPICE netlist. It sounds like the answer is no.

dan

• 6. Re: Calibre PERC problem
                    roseriver

Hi Dan,

I include lvs rule into my current perc rule. Now PERC can run and generate the result. But there are 2 problems:

1) I see only 1 perc error result. I am checking to see if my layout contains any pnp devices, should be more than one...

2) I can not highlight (cross probing) perc's  result in layout or schematic view by clicking on RVE results form

Do I do something wrong again ?

Thanks,

Ha

• 7. Re: Calibre PERC problem
                      dan_liddell

Hi Ha,

I'm guessing you ran PERC with the –hier option. If so, your results are hierarchical, not flat. Can you show the complete result in the PERC Report, please?

For your second problem, in RVE, you can open Setup > Design Tools and you'll see this:

Check the configuration of both the Layout Design Tool and the Schematic Design Tool. Choose the appropriate settings for what you use. Ensure the check box by Schematic Design Tool is enabled.

If the port socket 9189 is taken up by some other process on your machine, choose a different port number. Clicking the blue arrow icon next to the Socket Number field can help.

dan

• 8. Re: Calibre PERC problem
                        roseriver

Hi Dan,

Yes, I run PERC hierarchical. Regarding highlight setup, please look at picture below.

I am able to highlight ERC results, BUT not PERC result ??

Thanks again,

Ha

• 9. Re: Calibre PERC problem
                          dan_liddell

Hi Ha,

What type of PERC check are you running?

Is it an LDL High-Level Check? If so, open the Calibre PERC User's Manual and go to this section:

High-Level Checks and Topological DRC > High-Level Check Types > Performing a High-Level Check

The instructions discuss a VOLTAGE_AWARE_DRC check, but the flow is pretty much the same for any of the LDL checks.

Assuming it is an LDL check, you can find the name of the output database to load from the DFM DATABASE statement in the rules.

dan