1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 24, 2016 3:37 AM by robert_davies

Translation of Altium with Multi-Channel designs

e.ebner

Hello

as a consultant we heve following Situation. One of our customers uses Altium for schematic entry, we do the layout part in PADS VX1.2 ( for several reasons netlist flow)

Translating Altium to xDxDesigner does a pretty good job, with one exception, Multi-Chanel designs.

Our customer already does the annotation (packaging), for example in a design with 2 identical chanels, refenence designators Ch1_R1, Ch1_R2, Ch1_C1 for chanel 1 and Ch2_R1, Ch2_R2, Ch2_C1 for chanel two. The designators in the "master" are R1,R2,C1.

Because xDxDesigner uses the "logical" reference Designator from the altium schematic (the ones from the master block) and not the "physical" (the ones from the instaninated block)   it results in two chanel with identical, thus duplicate reference Designators R1,R2,C1, unable to forward to pcb.

As far as I know, there is no possibility (property) to assign a prefix for reference designator manually in netlist flow?

Does anybody know a Workaround for this?

Best regards

Erwin

• 1. Re: Translation of Altium with Multi-Channel designs
          robert_davies

There is no automated way to do this via the PCB Interface but you can (probably) do this manually using the Add Properties command. This command works in two modes 'Object-Action' and 'Action-Object'. To achieve what you want you can use either method, in 'Object-Action' mode select the components you want to modify (push into the block in the schematic so you're in instance mode) and then open the dialog (toolbar button with a component and A+). Select Type= 'Component', Property=REFDES, 'Instance Values'. Choose 'Range', Prefix = CH1_n, Value 1, Delta 1 and Apply. This will apply REFDES of CH1_n1, CH1_n2 etc at the instance level starting from top to bottom or left right in the selected objects. The PCB interface should not override these settings (it hasn't in my simple test which is why I said probably above).

If you use 'Action-Object' mode you first open Add Properties and fill in the dialog in the same way but instead of clicking Apply, the property is on the mouse cursor, then you select each object in turn to apply the REFDES property, this allows you to assign REFDES out of sequence, unlike 'Object-Action' mode.

I hope this helps.