3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 2:12 PM by mjohnson

How to make output warnings/links point to board section and not block section?

mjohnson

I have a lot of automation that reports to the output window using the "vdraw" command. Right now, these links seem to open up items in the Blocks section, which I don't want. I want to link to a part in the Boards section. How can I get this done? This is an example of a component in a hierarchical block that I want to link to in the output window, but I want the link to take someone to component in the Boards, not Blocks, section:

vdraw: Warning 1: Module_FPGA com $1I2345: this link will take you to the component

• 1. Re: How to make output warnings/links point to board section and not block section?
          mjohnson

Answered my own question, and here's some data for anyone looking for the same info, and for someone to critique if something is not quite right with this string:

vdraw <severity> 1 <top/root block name> <object type: com/pin/net> <hierarchical path to object UID> <message string>

The hierarchical part is where I went wrong; I was using the hierarchical path of the block, not to the UID, so the top block was, in fact, a block in the blocks section. The UID I simply had as the object's localized UID.

• 2. Re: How to make output warnings/links point to board section and not block section?
            mjohnson

So, I'm having problems with multi-level hierarchy and the link, so I unmarked this as correct. Basically, if I have:

vdraw <severity> 1 <top/root block name> com <module_name\submodule_name\UID> <message string>

the link doesn't go anywhere for some of my modules. Any thoughts on what might be going wrong here? To get the path names, I'm using:

thisObj.Parent.GetName(FULL_PATH_NAME) & "\" & thisObj.UID

Where "thisObj" is a component, in this case. One of the thoughts is that this is a hierarchical block that is used multiple times. Would the link have a hard time getting to the right block? Some other lower-level blocks that are used only once I have a perfectly fine time linking to. I.e., <module\submodule\UID> seems to be working for unique hierarchical blocks, but maybe not for blocks instantiated multiple times (with different names).

• 3. Re: How to make output warnings/links point to board section and not block section?
              mjohnson

As a bump to this, I still can't figure out why some of my "vdraw" statements aren't linking, using the method above. Would love to hear some ideas from others.