11 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2012 10:46 AM by jeff.heidel

How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?

yu.yanfeng

Expeditionpcb Libary manager is slow to open central libary located in the server. In a 100M local network, it will take 30-50 seconds to load libaries and take additional 10-20 seconds to open the component, Also Expeditionpcb will take 30-40 seconds to forward annotate when creating new layout. the file server is ok and have no heavy loading and less than 5 current users there, it seems it's a performace problem of Library manager.

Is there a way to speed up the access to libraires in the server?

• 1. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?

Did you ever find an answer to your question?  I would be interested in this also.

• 2. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?
            yu.yanfeng

Hi Jeff,

No way to speed up the process. This is the nature of the current Libaries' archtecture. I hope Mentor can recongize the impact and imporve it.

Yanfeng

• 3. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?
              Paul_N

Here we had same issue accessing libraries in the servers, way of "resolving" it was to attach PCB workstations directly to the 1Gbps servers backbone rather than to 100Mbps.

• 4. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?
                yu.yanfeng

Today, Most of companies still have a common 100M connection to desktop. And this issue can be addressed by rewriting the application. Hope Mentor guy can hear our voices.

• 5. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?
                  Andre_Mosley

Access to a Central Library can be affected by several issues most significantly being library size and network bandwidth (your numbers seem excessive). Unfortunately MGC can not affect your network bandwidth, but we can improve access to your libraries via usecases and continual software improvements. Here are a few things you can review/test to ensure you are optimizing your environment:

Environment Solutions

For those customers that are not able to take advantage of a full EE solution (DMS), solutions include:

• minimizing Central Library Partitions (excessive numbers of partitions slows down access)
                  • minimizing Central Library size (removing unnecessary parts)
                  • utilize local libraries and library services (not optimal to manage but will speed access)
                  • make sure you are not using "mounting" technologies with timeout issues
                  • ensure your license server is feeding licenses 'quickly'
                  • ensure anti-virus applications are not inhibiting file access
                  • look at the memory of the "local" machine
                  • look at where the MGC software is being loaded from (local vs. server)
                  • Copy the library locally and test "access times"

Software Solutions (Enterprise Expedition - including DMS)

We continually improve the software mechanics and one of the solutions that we have developed is to allow our EE customers to partition their libraries using the DMS technology for both Designers & Librarians. With an EE solution (includes DMS), Librarians have the ability to create local "Sandboxes" where they only need to access library objects that they need to modify and/or copy.These objects are "checked-out" to a local library structure optimizing the speed and editing process of eCAD objects. This significantly increases the speed and usability of the Librarian accessing their sandbox and also allows the Librarian to lock only the objects they are "editing". Once Librarians are done with their library development, they "check-in" their changes.

For Designers, the speed of accessing the library information is affected in part selection (Databook) and packaging (Central Library). For these usecases, DMS allows a partitioning of your library to supply specific part number access to designers. A project manager, lead designer, and/or librarian can create library subsets (Production Libraries) based on component usage or availability (e.g. Approved Parts, ROHS Only, Commercial Usage, Project XYZ). These library subsets significantly increase the part selection process by allowing a filtering of Databook so that designers don't accidentaly select parts they are not supposed to. Additionally a Central Library can be created that just includes the specific parts the project needs which will significantly improve the packaging process as well ... including Reuse Blocks.

A little long, but I hope these ideas help.

• 6. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?

Andre,

Thanks for this information.  This is probably information that needs to be on SupportNet since I think most people would find it useful.

On the number of partitions, at what number does it start to affect performance?  I probably have an excessive amount of paritions because we matched our partitions to our Agile database product families.  Does this just include the partition for parts, or does it also include symbols and cells.

• 7. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?
                      Andre_Mosley

Jeff,

thanks for the feedback, and I will make note of this suggestion to add this information to SupportNet. It's difficult to give you a "golden" number for the partitions, but I can share with you my experiences. Whenever I see a library that has over 15-20 partitions for each eCAD object, I question the reasoning and impact to the PCB design process. It's not just the Librarian that's affected, but also the management and access of the information that becomes "costly" to your organization.

I have found that by reducing the partitions in all eCAD catagories you can "squeeze" out some efficiency within your process but you are generally talking seconds/minutes/hours - your results of course will vary based on the size of your user community. Generally the number of partitions grow fairly linearly with the size of the library and many customers have had very valid reasons to implement multiple partitions/larger libraries including:

• Acquisitions
                      • PLM Integration - easier mapping to Enterprise properties/PDB data
                      • Partitions for each librarian - locking is "better" managed
                      • Easier to find parts - more partitions allows a better filtering
                      • Site specific partitions - e.g. my Site A doesn't like how Site B does their cells
                      • etc ...

Although partitions are important, library size does matter (the most). You can test your PCB process for "environmental" speed by running some quick tests with a smaller library (librarian access, part selection, packaging, annotation, etc ..); but to really "Speed UP" you are talking process improvements and better library management tools (e.g. DMS).

Hopefully you can test your environment for some "quick" savings.

Hope that helps.

• 8. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?
                        yu.yanfeng

Frankly say, I understand all you talked about. I believe it can achive 10X speed up by a simple modifciation to LM wihout complicated and costed DMS.

Yanfeng

• 9. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?

I did a little test today to see how I could affect the time it takes a schematic to open in Design Capture.  My current library has 39 symbol paritions, 16 cell partitions, and 32 part partitions.  It takes on average of 71 seconds to open the schematic on my test design (Both the design and the library are on a server).  Here is my data and the options I used for the partitions.  For the time, I would open the design 3 times and take an average.

Current Library (39 Symbols, 16 Cells, and 32 Part Partitions)     71 Seconds
                          First Test (22 Symbols, 16 Cells, and 32 Part Partitions)            47 Seconds
                          Second Test (16 Symbols, 16 Cells, and 32 Part Partitions)       46 Seconds
                          Third Test (16 Symbols, 8 Cells, and 32 Part Partitions)             34 Seconds
                          Fourth Test (9 Symbols, 8 Cells, and 32 Part Partitions)             23 Seconds
                          Fifth Test (9 Symbols, 8 Cells, and 17 Part Partitions)                20 Seconds

• 10. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?
                            David_S

jeff.heidel wrote:

I did a little test today to see how I could affect the time it takes a schematic to open in Design Capture.  My current library has 39 symbol paritions, 16 cell partitions, and 32 part partitions.  It takes on average of 71 seconds to open the schematic on my test design (Both the design and the library are on a server).  Here is my data and the options I used for the partitions.  For the time, I would open the design 3 times and take an average.

Current Library (39 Symbols, 16 Cells, and 32 Part Partitions)     71 Seconds
                            First Test (22 Symbols, 16 Cells, and 32 Part Partitions)            47 Seconds
                            Second Test (16 Symbols, 16 Cells, and 32 Part Partitions)       46 Seconds
                            Third Test (16 Symbols, 8 Cells, and 32 Part Partitions)             34 Seconds
                            Fourth Test (9 Symbols, 8 Cells, and 32 Part Partitions)             23 Seconds
                            Fifth Test (9 Symbols, 8 Cells, and 17 Part Partitions)                20 Seconds

Jeff,

Did you try playing with the search order?  Mine was the default, which is alphabetical.  I've moved the more common cells (surface mount then thru hole, then others) to the beginning, but don't have time to test.  Don't know what to do with part numbers and symbols.  I'm going to be adding cell partitions, so I can find things easier, not speed launch up, but I only have a few (7), currently.

• 11. Re: How to Speed UP  the access to Libraries in the server?

David,

We did have our more common partitions higher in the search order, but I never played around with that.  Once we started using 1G ethernet most of our performance issues went away.  Still not blazing fast, but people are not complaining like they once were.