8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 2:49 AM by fuba

Automated Screenshot of xPCB Layout Layers

fuba

Hello,

I am looking for a way, to make automated screenshots of layout sections.

Currently to do this, I am using the window handle of the xPCB Aplication.

• pcbApp.Gui.HWND

when I do a shot then I get the complete window, but no artwork, just the black window.

shot-nok.jpeg

This shot here is ok, but made with a screenshot tool like (Win7 Snipping Tool)

shot-ok.png

The Screenshot .Net class I have is working, I am using it also for other projects.

Another Idea was now, to search the xPCB window for subwindows. I did that, and found around 100 Handles.

I shooted them all, but none of them included my PCB/artwork.

Has someone an Idea, how to get fractions / sections / excerpts  of a whole PCB / View to a bitmap, or PDF or ...

Or how to get the right handle (HWND) of the PCB window ?

Thanks in advance

Stefan

• 1. Re: Automated Screenshot of xPCB Layout Layers
          kendall_hiles

Fuba;

You can use Automation PRO to automatically generate PDF's of anything you want in the PCB.  There is an example in AATK.

-kendall

• 2. Re: Automated Screenshot of xPCB Layout Layers
            fuba

Dear Kendall,

thanks for the answer. I am aware of that feature in 'Automation PRO',

but is it possible with the automation Pro Engine, to shoot/print only

sections and not the whole design ?

My target is, to have screenshots of a section showing each layer,

for supplier reviews, in regards to the PCB artwork.

Anyway, I will check AATK and see what I can find.

Thanks

Stefan

• 3. Re: Automated Screenshot of xPCB Layout Layers
              fuba

Hi all,

I tried in xPCB via the Menu: Edit->Copy Bitmap To Clipboard

but it is also not satisfying, because it only copies only the selected graphics and text to the clipboard.

And then, when pasting, it, the graphic is worse, because it still has the highlighting of the selction,

what is really poor.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Automated Screenshot of xPCB Layout Layers
                Patrick.Cashman
                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Automated Screenshot of xPCB Layout Layers
                  fuba

Patrick,

thanks. The link you provided was good input. They did it a little bit different that the way I dit it.

Now I have my Image. I am also not working with the HWND of the Application, because it gives

me the frame/GUI around. I have now a process of defining an own "RECT" Window, and shoot this one.

But all this leads me to a next issue.

How can I enable a Layer (by Code / .Net / VB) , like when clicking on it in the Display Control ?

layerControl.png

• 6. Re: Automated Screenshot of xPCB Layout Layers
                    Patrick.Cashman

With the current release, the Automation of Display Control is quite functional, and very different than it was in 7.9.x and before.  You can do anything you want to with it, as before, it's just different.  Problem is that the help files are both incorrect and inadequate, so there's a bit of wandering in the dark. 

Good news is that someone at Mentor made an Excel spreadsheet with VBA code in it that demonstrates how to do it. It's in the Mentor install tree at:

C:\MentorGraphics\EEVX.1.2\SDD_HOME\standard\examples\pcb\Automation\Excel\DisplayControl.xls

There are examples in there, in the VBA code, of how to interact with the Display Control.  Even with this, it's still kind of confusing, until you figure out which group a particular layer or items belongs to. Here is some code that shows a number of commands used to turn on and off different layers:

Public dsp As MGCPCB.DisplayControl

Public view As MGCPCB.View

Public gui As MGCPCB.Gui

Public globl As MGCPCB.GlobalDisplayControl

Public Sub setup_layers()

'Do all the common items

'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Turn off Route Objects

dsp.Option("Option.RouteObjects.Enable") = 0

'Turn off Place Objects

dsp.Option("Option.PlaceObjects") = 0

'Turn Board Items

dsp.Option("Option.Fiducials.Enabled") = 0

dsp.Option("Option.MountingHolePads.Enabled") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Hole.Mounting") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Hole.Contour") = 0

dsp.Visible("Board.ManufacturingOutline") = 0

'Turn off Drill Drawing

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.DrillDrawing") = 0

'Turn off Fabrication Objects

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.CellItems.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.CellItems.Top") = 0

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.TestPointItems.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.TestPointItems.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Assembly.TestPoint.Text.RefDes.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Assembly.TestPoint.Text.RefDes.Top") = 0

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.AssemblyItems.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.AssemblyItems.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.SolderPaste.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.SolderPaste.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Assembly.Part.Text.PartNumber.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Assembly.Part.Text.PartNumber.Top") = 0

'Turn off some of the Top Silkscreen items

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.Part.Text.PartNumber.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.Generated.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.TestPoint.Probe.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.TestPoint.Text.RefDes.Top") = 0

'Turn off user layers

'dsp.Option("Option.UserDraftLayers.Enable") = 0

'Turn off coloring nets and net classes

dsp.Option("Global.Option.ColorByNetClass.NetClasses.Enable") = 0

dsp.Option("Global.Option.ColorByNetClass.Nets.Enable") = 0

'Now do the specific items based on paramaters

'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debug.Print("txt_type is " & txt_type)

Debug.Print("side is " & side)

Select Case txt_type

Case 1    'assy

'Turn off Soldermask Objects

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.SolderMask.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.SolderMask.Top") = 0

'Turn off Bottom Silkscreen

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.SilkscreenItems.Bottom") = 0

'Turn off Top Silkscreen

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.SilkscreenItems.Top") = 0

Select Case side

Case 1    'top

gui.ActiveRouteLayer = 1

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.AssemblyItems.Top") = 1

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Assembly.Part.Text.RefDes.Top") = 1

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Assembly.Part.Outline.Top") = 1

Case 2    'bottom

gui.ActiveRouteLayer = doc.LayerCount

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.AssemblyItems.Bottom") = 1

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Assembly.Part.Text.RefDes.Bottom") = 1

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Assembly.Part.Outline.Bottom") = 1

End Select

Case 2    'silk

Select Case side

Case 1    'top

gui.ActiveRouteLayer = 1

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.SolderMask.Top") = 1

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.SolderMask.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.SilkscreenItems.Top") = 1

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.SilkscreenItems.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.Generated.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.Part.Text.PartNumber.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.TestPoint.Probe.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.TestPoint.Text.RefDes.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.Part.Outline.Top") = 1

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.Part.Text.RefDes.Top") = 1

Case 2    'bottom

gui.ActiveRouteLayer = doc.LayerCount

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.SolderMask.Bottom") = 1

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.SolderMask.Top") = 0

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.SilkscreenItems.Bottom") = 1

dsp.Option("Option.Fabrication.SilkscreenItems.Top") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.Generated.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.Part.Text.PartNumber.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.TestPoint.Probe.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.TestPoint.Text.RefDes.Bottom") = 0

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.Part.Outline.Bottom") = 1

dsp.Visible("Fabrication.Silkscreen.Part.Text.RefDes.Bottom") = 1

End Select

End Select

gui.ActiveMode = 0

End Sub

This is not a direct answer to your question, and you have some head scratching ahead to figure out how to do what you want, but it will get you there eventually.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Automated Screenshot of xPCB Layout Layers
                      fuba

Ciao Patrick,

found also yesterday evening the xls-Worksheet you mentioned, but thanks again for the good support.

I modified the code in there to my needs. But still, quite tricky.

In the VBA-Excel Macro, Mentor uses an enumeration for setting the states, which I couldn find in the DOC's,

so I set it up on my own. Maybe it is a question which *.tlb I am referencing in my Project,

but is their some documentation on the values ?

Public Enum ePCBGraphicsItemState

'# Copied from Excel Object Catalog
                              '# Could not be found in the Documentation
                              '# or in the Intelli Sense here
                              epcbGraphicsItemStateModifierIgnoreEnabled = &H8000000
                              epcbGraphicsItemStateModifierIgnoreOnOff = &H4000000
                              epcbGraphicsItemStateOffEnabled = &H0
                              epcbGraphicsItemStateOffNotEnabled = &H2
                              epcbGraphicsItemStateOnEnabled = &H1
                              epcbGraphicsItemStateOnNotEnabled = &H3

End Enum

Where is the difference between '...OnEnabled' and '...OnNotEnabled'

or '...OffEnabled' and '...OffNotEnabled' ?

I am still confused, I have my Views now, save them via

... .DisplayControl.SaveScheme(...

that I can recall them later, but I still fight with the layers.

I will go on investigating. So stay tuned.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Automated Screenshot of xPCB Layout Layers
                        fuba

Ok, I found out that I was using the wrong *.dll or *.tlb

when I am using the *.tlb from here:

C:\ProgramData\mgcSDD\win64\TLB\MGCPCB.tlb

then I have the Enumeration mentioned above, and a few more functionalities,

like Setting the Colors/Pattern on the Layers, and creating color objects via

Dim colO As MGCPCB.ColorPattern
                            colO = pcbApp.Utility.NewColorPattern(0, 255, 255, 0, False, False)

Bye