5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2018 8:54 AM by robert_davies

VX.2 Can't change REFDES on symbol editor

nicola.fiorucci

I would like to change the REFDES value of a symbol in symbol editor. The actual value shown is R?. If i try to change to RS? i get this error:

Illegal property value, the regular expression for this property value is: (\n|-|_|,)*

In the previous version of PADS i never had this problem

• 1. Re: VX.2 Can't change REFDES on symbol editor
          robert_davies

Since the replacement symbol editor was adopted in VX.2 it now obeys the settings in the property definition editor more closely than NSE which treated the ? as an exception. To solve this you need to modify the property definition file you use with the flow via Tools - Property Definition Editor or via the same tool in PADS Library tools if using the integrated flow.

Change the regular expression for the REFDES property to (\n|-|_|\?|,)* and then reload the file by either closing an re-opening the project or running Tools - Update Libraries.

• 2. Re: VX.2 Can't change REFDES on symbol editor
            8lw4

Hi Robert,

I have the same issue (VX2.2). But changing the REFDES property as you suggested in Property Definition Editor doesn't work, after I re-opened the project. Is there anything I could be missing or I could try? FYI - I am using netlist flow.

Thanks,

Dawei

• 3. Re: VX.2 Can't change REFDES on symbol editor
              robert_davies

What error message are you getting? What are you trying to change the REFDES to?

• 4. Re: VX.2 Can't change REFDES on symbol editor
                8lw4

Hi Robert,

Thanks for getting back to me. Now it works for me after I changed the regular expression of REFDES to (\n|-|_|\?|,)*. I was using (\n|-|_|\?|,) before, without the * in the end, so it gave me errors. I still couldn't understanding the regular expression though. If you could explain to me why this * makes a difference, that would be much appreciated! The help document for Property Definition Editor as below wasn't clear to me.

file:///C:/MentorGraphics/PADSVX.2.2/docs/htmldocs/mgchelp.htm#context=lm_proc_gd&topic=PROPERTY_DEFINITION_EDITOR

Thanks,

Dawei

• 5. Re: VX.2 Can't change REFDES on symbol editor
                  robert_davies

It seems in my original answer I missed off the * when I replied, probably a cut and paste error. There are some hints about the regular expressions embedded in the property file, it would be worth reading those in a text editor (but open a copy of the file not the one in the installation).