8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 8:30 AM by beltz

Problem in setting Variant Manager settings - ConfigFile - if the existing ConfigFile is invalid

beltz

I'm following an example in the Variant Manager Automation manual; under VMSettings Object, Example 2-1 Settings Example.

Among other things I'm try to set ConfigFile to a certain filename.  But I've found that if the existing ConfigFile value is invalid (blank or invalid filename) then it doesn't set the ConfigFile value to what I'm specifying in the code.  When I run the program which opens Variant Manager (and the existing ConfigFile value is invalid) and attempts to set this value, I get an error message in red in the Variant Manager window that says:

Library source data configuration file not defined. Use Settings to define.

I get this message when it executes

Set toolSettingsObj = settingsObj.LibQuery

and when it executes

toolSettingsObj.ConfigFile = "/home/dms_lib/WDIR795/DXDBLex.dbc"

NOTE: I'm running on RedHat Enterprise Linux.  I get this same behavior when running the program in DxDesigner and ExpeditionPCB.

NOTE: If the existing ConfigFile value is valid, then it will change the ConfigFile value to what is specified in my program.

Also I'm noticing that the Variant Manager Enumerated Types don't appear to be available in my program, even though I am loading them with (for VX.1)

Scripting.AddTypeLibrary "MGCVARIANTGUI.MGCVariantGUICtrl.2"

So instead I have to use the constant numerical values.

Option Explicit

Dim vmaddin   ' The Variant Manager Addin object

Set vmaddin = Application.Addins("Variant Manager")

' if vmaddin Is Nothing then Addin not already loaded, so load it now

If vmaddin Is Nothing Then

Set vmaddin = Application.Addins.Add("MGCVARIANTGUI.MGCVariantGUICtrl.2", "Variant Manager", "")

vmaddin.Visible = True

Else

vmaddin.Visible = True

End If

' Load TypeLibrary so that Variant Manager Enumerated Types are available

Dim settingsObj, toolSettingsObj

Set settingsObj = vmaddin.Control.VariantGuiApplication.Settings

' General Setting

Set toolSettingsObj = settingsObj.General

toolSettingsObj.ReportTxtDelimiter = ""

' the following didn't work

'toolSettingsObj.ReportViewExcel = eVMOptionOff

toolSettingsObj.ReportViewExcel = 0

'toolSettingsObj.ReportViewHTML = eVMOptionOff

toolSettingsObj.ReportViewHTML = 0

toolSettingsObj.UnplacedKeyword = "NO-POP"

' PCB Setting

Set toolSettingsObj = settingsObj.PCB

'toolSettingsObj.FablinkActionPrompt = eVMOptionOn

toolSettingsObj.FablinkActionPrompt = 1

'toolSettingsObj.FablinkDataGenerationMode = eVMFXEOnRequest

toolSettingsObj.FablinkDataGenerationMode = 3

toolSettingsObj.UnplaceAssKeepOutline = 0

toolSettingsObj.UnplaceAssKeepPartnum = 0

toolSettingsObj.UnplaceAssKeepRefdes = 0

toolSettingsObj.UnplaceSilkKeepOutline = 0

toolSettingsObj.UnplaceSilkKeepPartnum = 0

toolSettingsObj.UnplaceSilkKeepRefdes = 0

toolSettingsObj.UnplaceSolderMask = 0

toolSettingsObj.UnplaceSolderPaste = 0

' CAE Setting

Set toolSettingsObj = settingsObj.CAE

Call toolSettingsObj.SetMarkupColor (0, 0, 0) 'black

Call toolSettingsObj.SetUnplaceColor (0, 0, 0) 'black

'toolSettingsObj.PackageUnplaceOption = eVMCAEPackUnplaceMarkup

toolSettingsObj.PackageUnplaceOption = 2

' Library Setting

MsgBox("Before LibQuery")

Set toolSettingsObj = settingsObj.LibQuery

MsgBox(toolSettingsObj.ConfigFile)

toolSettingsObj.ConfigFile = "/home/dms_lib/WDIR795/DXDBLex.dbc"

toolSettingsObj.MaxResultsPerLib = 10

toolSettingsObj.MaxResultsTotal = 22

toolSettingsObj.PartNumberAttribute = "Part Number"

toolSettingsObj.RowFormatter = "$(Part Number)"

toolSettingsObj.SummaryInfoFormatter = "$(Part Number)"

• 1. Re: Problem in setting Variant Manager settings - ConfigFile - if the existing ConfigFile is invalid
          Patrick.Cashman

Perhaps I'm missing the point of your question but is it not a fairly simple matter of file IO to verify in advance that the filename is correct? And if there is no such file, to copy one from a template area or some other safe repository?  If the function works as expected when a valid file is present I don't know what, other than an error message, could happen when a valid file is not present.

Regarding the issue of enumerated values, perhaps it's my ignorance or poor practice but I always use the numeric constants.  It has seemed to me that they are no more likely to change over time than the enumerated values are for any given function. While it is true that the code is no longer human-readable, the help files are just a few clicks away at any moment, so if I need to, I can review them readily.  Also it's easier for me to remember the numeric values when re-using a function.  Just my 2 cents, but again, for me, this is simpler.   Perhaps years ago when I started writing scripts for Mentor I discovered the same as you, missing or incorrect enumerations, and just said, "It's easier and more reliable to use the integers." and thus that became my practice.  I do have some faint memory of some early problems with them.  Entirely possible. If so, that's the (Mentor) world we live in.  Roll with it.

• 2. Re: Problem in setting Variant Manager settings - ConfigFile - if the existing ConfigFile is invalid
            beltz

Thanks for the info.

Yes I ended up just adding a step before invoking Variant Manager to copy a good VmgrLdataGrid.cfg file into the design, so that there would be a valid ConfigFile to start with, so that the program will work.  But of course the whole point is to use the program/automation to set these settings.  In fact, I might have been able to do this for all the VM settings; copying in a good default .cfg file. 

The VM Settings are contained in various .cfg files.

VmgrCommon.cfg

VmgrDxd.cfg

VmgrExpPCB.cfg

VmgrLdataGrid.cfg

My point for posting the question was to get any advice on something I was doing wrong in my program. I'm not really a VBScript expert, yet. I'll probably write an SR on this and see if anything happens.

On the enumerated values, I went your route and added Const definitions for them.  Again, I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong in my program, to not get them to show up when using

I appreciate your comments and yes, I've very familiar with working around MGC shortcomings.

Walt

• 3. Re: Problem in setting Variant Manager settings - ConfigFile - if the existing ConfigFile is invalid
              Patrick.Cashman

One thing you might look at is the .2 in your Scripting.AddTypeLibrary "MGCVARIANTGUI.MGCVariantGUICtrl.2" command.  That may not be the correct prog_id.  You most likely know that each version of the Mentor tools has its own prog_id.  I get that on the fly from the registry. I know you're using linux, so you'll have to use the corresponding environment settings to get it.  I'm no help there as I haven't worked in any unix/linux environment for years.

• 4. Re: Problem in setting Variant Manager settings - ConfigFile - if the existing ConfigFile is invalid
                beltz

Hi

I was just going by what's in the Variant Manager Automation Reference,

Example 1-1 Variant Manager Addin where it explicitly says:

With the introduction of VX.1, you must use the following library for any

scripts that invoke the

MGCVariantGUICtrl library:

MGCVariantGUICtrl.2

I've submitted an SR to MGC, so I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks

Walt Beltz

Lexmark International Inc

Lexington, KY

• 5. Re: Problem in setting Variant Manager settings - ConfigFile - if the existing ConfigFile is invalid
                  beltz

I have some more information on the problem of using the enumerated values and the use of Scripting.AddTypeLibrary "MGCVARIANTGUI.MGCVariantGUICtrl.2" to access them.

From a response I received on my SR from MentorGraphics there is a COM version number that goes with each MGC release.They referenced TechNote MG588916 Automation - Using COM Version Number in VX

VX.1.2

COM Version number 26

VX.1.1

COM Version number 9

I'm using VX.1.2 and when I used the following I was able to use the enumerated values.

Scripting.AddTypeLibrary "MGCVARIANTGUI.MGCVariantGUICtrl.26"

Walt

• 6. Re: Problem in setting Variant Manager settings - ConfigFile - if the existing ConfigFile is invalid
                    beltz

Thanks. It looks like that was the issue with the enumerated type names

missing. I added this info to my thread on communities.

I have some more information on the problem of using the enumerated values

and the use of Scripting.AddTypeLibrary "MGCVARIANTGUI.MGCVariantGUICtrl.2"

to access them.

From a response I received on my SR from MentorGraphics there is a COM

version number that goes with each MGC release.They referenced TechNote

MG588916 Automation - Using COM Version Number in VX

VX.1.2

COM Version number 26

VX.1.1

COM Version number 9

I'm using VX.1.2 and when I used the following I was able to use the

enumerated values.

Scripting.AddTypeLibrary "MGCVARIANTGUI.MGCVariantGUICtrl.26"

Walt

• 7. Re: Problem in setting Variant Manager settings - ConfigFile - if the existing ConfigFile is invalid
                      Patrick.Cashman

You're welcome.

You may want to consider getting the COM Version (what I was calling prog_id) programatically, so that you don't have to fix code in your application when you upgrade to a new version of Mentor software.  As I said, I get it from the registry.  Not sure how you would do it in linux, but I bet it's stored somewhere in the environment or some config files.

• 8. Re: Problem in setting Variant Manager settings - ConfigFile - if the existing ConfigFile is invalid
                        beltz

Yes I tried using the example code from the TechNote to figure out the

correct prog ID to use, but it didn't run on Linux.