4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 4:44 AM by falco_arvoo

Empty part name beeing assigned part number after annotation

falco_arvoo

Hello all,

I'm using PADS Professional and having some strange issues. When forward annotating, components with an empty Part Name property get assigned the Part Number property. Even more strange, the Part Name property is made visible in the schematic, while in both the xDX Databook and the schematic symbol editor the property Part Name is made invisible for those specific components (generic resistors, capacitors etc).

1. How can I avoid the Part Name property value beeing assigned the Part Number property value?

2. How can I avoid the Part Name property beeing visible after annotation, while the default for that component is invisible in Databook and Schematic Editor? This doesn't occur with components already assigned a Part Name, it then keeps the already assigned Part Name and it's visibility status.

Thanks in advance,

Falco

• 1. Re: Empty part name beeing assigned part number after annotation
          robert_davies

A couple of things to be aware of. If you place a symbol in the schematic the packager will choose a  default Part Number for the part based on the Part Name property if nothing else is defined, this is indicated in the Part Editor by the radio button next to the Part Name field, so for example if you use the same symbol/part name for multiple parts then there is always a default if you've not specified more data. Part Name used to be based off of symbol name way back in the evolution of the products (even before the VeriBest days) so what is most likely happening is packager is using the symbol name to find a part number. But as you don't provide enough details about your symbol or library here this is only conjecture. I would expect packager to fail if as you say there is no Part Name at all and no other data.

Either provide more details on this forum, screenshots of the symbol/properties and Part Editor data or contact your local support organisaton.

• 2. Re: Empty part name beeing assigned part number after annotation
            falco_arvoo

Thanks for your reply. Here are some screenshots of what is happening

This is the situation before packing. The resistor has been assigned a Part Number, relating to it beeing a 1MEGR 1005 1% resistor, but is hasn't been assigned a Part Name, because multiple devices can be used. For us, Part Name is the ordering code from the manufacturer of the part. Also note that the Part Name isn't visible at all.

This is the situation after beeing packaged. The Part Number has been copied to the Part Name, and the Part Name has been made visible in the schematic.

I don't get a packager error in this specific component, but I do get a lot of other errors like these:

Visit message location WARNING: Block ####!#####, Page 1, Symbol $1I431:

Symbol / PartsDB property mismatch:

Resolved PartNumber = ARV-00000381

Symbol Property: Part Name = SMAJ58CA

PartsDB Property: Part Name = ARV-00000381

The property value on this symbol has not been changed.

Use the 'Update PDB Properties on symbol' option on the Packager menu

or use Device Replace to change the schematic symbol in order to

update the schematic to the PartsDB value as limited by the precision

specified in the Notation Settings dialog. Be sure that the

precision specified in the Notation Settings dialog is sufficient to

define the value exactly or this warning will continue.

But the solution the error is offering (enabling 'Update PDB Properties on symbol') is the thing I don't want. I want the components to keep their Part Name assigned by the DxDatabook, and the Part Number assigned by the PartsDB.

• 3. Re: Empty part name beeing assigned part number after annotation
              robert_davies

You have two options as I see it. Ignore the warnings and carry on or modify how you use Part Name - it has a many to one relationship to Part Number. Take as an example a resistor that uses a 'res' Part Name, this can be mapped to many Part Numbers in the PDB, whereas Part Number must be unique. If it were me I would use another property for the manufactuirng order code, Part Label probably. So you would have a unique Part Number, a shared Part Name and a unique Part label.As you have PADS it may be a little more difficult to visualise the Part database structure as the PADS dialogs hide some of it, unless you are uisng PADS Professional (screenshot attached shows PADS Professional/Xpedition part view of this method)

This way you avoid the problems you are seeing. But at the end of the day it is up to you how to utilise the capabilities in the library.

Just one further question, what do you mean by this statement? 'The resistor has been assigned a Part Number, relating to it beeing a 1MEGR 1005 1% resistor, but is hasn't been assigned a Part Name, because multiple devices can be used.'

Do you mean multiple symbols?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Empty part name beeing assigned part number after annotation
                falco_arvoo

Thanks for your response and the attached picture, I now see where it is linked. In that specific window we assign the same Number as Name, I never realized this was actually referring to Part Number and Part Name. I will try and see if I can leave the name empty, so it doesn't show up anymore after packaging. We are indeed using PADS Pro.

Our idea was to keep the PartDB as 'dumb' as possible, so we can use the DXDatabook as source for all the information, of which the SQL database is managed by an external program. But I guess we made a mistake in wanting to use properties the PartDB is already using.

By my last statement I mean that there are multiple parts that fit the described component. Murata, Multicomp, Vishay etc all make similar resistors. We want to leave that choice to the PCB manufacturer, so we want to leave Part Name empty there. In that way we can also easily indicate for other resistors that we actually do want that specific brand/type on our design.

Thanks again for your help!