11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 2:32 AM by mike_gibling

xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator

expertengr

I created a new project in xDX Designer and then I open xDX IOPT. I added a FPGA device in xDX IOPT then I assign some signals to FPGA pins and leave other FPGA pins un-assigned. I generate FPGA symbol using Tools => Symbol Generator and also Update Power Pins under Tools before generating symbol. But when I click ECO > Forward Annotate to Schematic I do not see the lights turn on at the right bottom corner of the attached image. I guess I am missing something. I would like to Forward Annotate the FPGA symbol to Schematic i.e. xDX Designer. Please have a look in attachment.

• 1. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
          mike_gibling

Bilal,

Always make sure you are working on a copy when learning new tools

As you have already Forward Annotated to the schematic the yellow light when hovering over it probably now says Pending xDX user acceptance (or similar).

Depending on the flow release you are running a yellow light will be at the bottom of the DX application - if the release is before VX.2.1 the tool tip will probably tell you that IOPT changes are pending - so click to start the update

This should create your new FPGA in MyParts>FPGA

Mike

• 2. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
            expertengr

Yes I click the yellow light but it does not do any thing. Looks like the light is in-active.

Apart from this status light somehow I am able to publish part ECO => Convert FPGA to Publish Part. In the library tool xDM Library Tools VX.1.1 I in xDM Librarian 100 I able to import File => Import xDX IOPT Package *.fdx file but there I need to assign "part" to the FPGA symbol. Do I need to have part ready in part editor before it's placement in central library ? This means DX IOPT only export the symbol not the footprint ?

• 3. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
              mike_gibling

Bilal,

Have you also checked in MyParts>FPGA … maybe the update occurred and you have the symbols ready to place?

ECO > Convert FPGA to a published Part – YES it will create a Part in a FDX file format ready to be imported into the library and to be used as a generic library part.

I am not sure what release we allowed cell names to be declared that had not yet been created in the library to be referenced in the FPGA properties. Probably in VX.1.1 a cell of the same number of pins should exist to create the FPGA at the start

What version of IOPT are you using?

What is your company name?

Have you just started to use IOPT?

Mike

• 4. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
                mike_gibling

… Also the export process only exports the cell name to the Library Parts Database and we do not create the cell itself

Have you tried using the xDM FPGA Part Wizard which is available from the xDM Library manager GUI

Mike

• 5. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
                  expertengr

Please let me know MyParts>FPGA in which tool ? I could not see it in xDX IOPT at least.

• 6. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
                    mike_gibling

MyParts is a repository in DX Designer to place custom FPGAs create by IOPT (similar to Databook but only for custom FPGAs)

In DX Designer go to the top left and click on “View” pull down, You can launch the MyParts view 4th from the bottom of the list

• 7. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
                      expertengr

In xDX Designer view => MyParts => FPGA is empty even after ECO > Forward Annotate to Schematic already in xDX IOPT. After annotate to schematic the FPGA symbol should appear in my parts under view in xDX Designer but it is not there. I have 1.1 version software. 

• 8. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
                        mike_gibling

Bilal,

Today I went through the whole process in VX.1.1 and it continues to work OK

… so How many symbols did IOPT Symbol generator create?

Is you library open to have the Symbols>MGCxDXIOPT partition writeable?

Is you library open to have the PDB>MGCxDXIOPT partition writeable?

As in VX.1.1 these are the default repositories for custom symbols

Mike

• 9. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
                          expertengr

In fact I did Tools => Symbol Generator and ECO=> Convert FPGA to Published Part in xDX IOPT more than one time. Then I open the cntral library xDM Library Tools VX.1.1 I and select xDM Librarian 100. There I able to import File => Import xDX IOPT Package *.fdx generated by xDX IOPT. I package this FPGA part and placed all five symbols under Symbols => FPGA and place part under Parts => FPGA directory.  I can see the FPGA part and symbol in DX Data book. All symbols belong to same part as they are just different slots for each bank. But when I added some slots and give them Reference Designator and then run ECO=> Foreword Anotate in PCB Xpedition I got following 236 errors. 

FPGA.png236 errors.png

• 10. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
                            mike_gibling

Maybe we should have a webex so we can walk through this process and get you productive

Do you prefer to have custom symbols or library generic parts?

… and when today can you spare the time?

Mike

• 11. Re: xDX IOPT  Symbol Generator
                              mike_gibling

If a webex is required please send me you direct email