10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 12:20 AM by carl.worthington

Twin Twist?

carl.worthington

Hi All,

Has anyone managed to get VeSys to reconise twin twist in a harness and output the data corectly?

What ever we try, it ony sees it as a multicore and asks for cut back nodes etc plus when assigning multicore in harness, we browse for part number, select it etc but when your run manufacturing reports, it says there is no part number for any multicore?

• 1. Re: Twin Twist?
          Joel_Pointon

Hi Carl,

It depends on what version of VeSys you are running and what type of Twin Twist you are trying to achieve i.e. is it Twisted in-house by your harness supplier or is it a bought in twisted pair.  If it is a bought in twisted pair then it should be treated as a standard multicore cable rather than a twisted pair, if you can give me a bit more detail then I'll be able to help you get your reports outputting correctly.

Regards

Joel

• 2. Re: Twin Twist?
            carl.worthington

Hi Joel,

The part I am doing now is a bought in item but there is also some parts being drawn where the twin twist will be made in house.

The version of VeSys I am using is the 2008.2.

Cheers,

Carl

• 3. Re: Twin Twist?
              Joel_Pointon

Hi Carl,

Bought in Twisted Pairs should be setup in the database and selected, you then need to link the wires used in the draiwng to the Inner Cores in the database.  You then need to place a Node and link that Multicore ID to the node, although I haven't checked to see if the report still shows it as a Twisted Pair there is a possibility that it will still show as a Multicore if the TP prefix isn't used.

For in-house made twisted pairs you will simply tag the wires with a TP multicore ID and link the multicore ID to a node and then this should appear on the reports, again I haven't tested this on the latest version of VeSys.

Regards

Joel

• 4. Re: Twin Twist?
                carl.worthington

Just tried it.

I cad assign multicore etc and when I run reports, it says there is no cut back node etc. I go to the drawing, assign cut back nodes then run reports. All the assigned multicores get stripped out, part numbers removed etc and then report says no part numbers for multicore, no cut back nodes etc????

• 5. Re: Twin Twist?
                  Joel_Pointon

Hi Carl,

That doesn't sound right, you'll have to send me your drawing so I can take a look at it, my e-mail is Joel.Pointon@EDS-Design.co.uk

Regards

Joel

• 6. Re: Twin Twist?
                    Joel_Pointon

Hi Carl,

I've just tried a manually created Twist Pair i.e. made from 2 normal wires that are Twisted by the Harness Supplier and it worked fine, I'll try setting up a pre-defined Multicore Cable i.e. bought in twisted to see how that goes.

Regards

Joel

• 7. Re: Twin Twist?
                      Joel_Pointon

Hi Carl,

I have just tested the pre-bought in cable and that worked fine too, I can only think there is something wrong with the way the wires are setup as a Multicore or the way the Multicore itself is configured.  Have you placed both cutback nodes on each end of the multicore cable?

Regards

Joel

• 8. Re: Twin Twist?
                        Joel_Pointon

Are you updating the Wire Table before you run the reports?  I'm not sure if it does this before generating the reports but it might explain why its still not detecting the Multicores being assigned to the node.

• 9. Re: Twin Twist?
                          Joel_Pointon

Hi Carl,

I've changed the codes you used on the Multicore Cables and it now works ok, the problem is with using a Space between the Multicore Prefix and the name so rather than TP K you will need to use TP_K.

Regards

Joel

• 10. Re: Twin Twist?
                            carl.worthington

Hi Joel,

tried that and still showing no part number in reports for multicore but on the drawing, the multicores have part numbers. And it is showing that a wire that is 0.50mm wont fit a teminal because it 1.50 but it isnt, its 0.50?