4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2017 8:09 AM by john15

2nd of 4th gate symbol missing pin numbers in schematic

john15

Using DX VX.2.1

The attached hetero part definition is used to place 4 schematic symbols comprising one real part. The 2nd symbol in the series does not display any pin numbers in the schematic. The layout shows the pins are correctly and completely assigned.

I found an older post that described a similar issue as a result of whitespace in the part definition.  I do not see leading, trailing, or interstitial spaces in the pin assignments, the file name, or any of the property fields. Photo attached. Notice the properties dialog capture was taken with all four parts highlighted. They are identical except for the ID.

• 1. Re: 2nd of 4th hetero part symbol missing pin numbers in schematic
          robert_davies

Two things to note. Firstly this isn't a hetero symbol, it is a simple multi-gated part so the HETERO property is unnecessary. Secondly the visibility of the pin numbers is switched off in the symbol so they won't show up on the schematic unless you change them in the symbol editor or toggle them in the Properties dialog. I would suggest you edit the symbol to remove the HETERO property and change the visibility of the pin number propery # to on.

• 2. Re: 2nd of 4th hetero part symbol missing pin numbers in schematic
            john15

I removed the Hetero property. It didn't have a noticeable effect.

I could not follow your proposed properties change. One pin object in the symbol editor defines four gate pins. I don't see that the pin symbol has per-gate properties to edit. Perhaps I'm missing something.

My solution was to make junk symbols, vary the properties, and identify what changes occur in the text file. By editing the defective symbol accordingly I solved my problem. Comparing before and after screen shots, I don't see any difference in the symbol's properties shown in the graphical editor.

When placing the symbol in the schematic the gates appear out of order. E.g., gate 2, 3, 4, 1. I am guessing this has to do with the order of the pins in the symbol file. If I were to trust the symbol editor the part gates should come out in the correct 1-4 sequence.

• 3. Re: 2nd of 4th hetero part symbol missing pin numbers in schematic
              robert_davies

The symbol you attached had pin number visibility turned off by default (see attached). I also noticed that the second slot is chosen first when placing the part and at the moment can see no reason why this is the case. I also noticed that running the PCB Interface and assigning reference designators reset the gate placed first to the original first slot - again I have no explanation why it does this.

• 4. Re: 2nd of 4th hetero part symbol missing pin numbers in schematic
                john15

I am familiar with that particular tick box. Notice 15,13,11,9 should have been invisible. In my screen capture I show that only 13 from the series is invisible. Toggling that box didn't fix the problem but editing the underlying symbol text did.

If you didn't say what you did I wouldn't have thought to do what I did, so thanks for the help.