1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 7, 2017 11:51 PM by robert_davies

Sharing simulation and PCB design in same project

tomsan

I am trying to do simulation for a Board containing one schematic.

This board is connected to Drive source with a long cable. This cable has equivalent circuit that can be drawn as schematic.

How do I arrange my simulation so that board schematic and cable schematic are both included in the simulation where as board design flow only sees board schematic.

In short how do we manage design flow when some virtual parts are only for simulation and not included in the board design without have to create two separate project for board and simulation?

Also in the board schematic if I want to add a virtual passive part to represent parasitic for simulation that has no physical existence for board design. Can I do it and mask its visibility to board design? Ideally a object property with choice - ignore in PCB or short it in PCB will be very handy.

I understand I can add parasitic to simulation models of the parts but then I loose graphic visibility to my work.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tomsan

• 1. Re: Sharing simulation and PCB design in same project
          robert_davies

You can do this by creating a second 'Board' in the project and use this for the simulation including your cable. Use hierarchy so that the real board schematic can be inserted as a block in this 'simulation' board. Then it will share the same schematic and changes in one 'Board' will be reflected in the other 'Board' without needing to make changes in each instance.

In the second question set 'Forward to PCB' = False for your parasitic discrete component ans it won't go to layout. But if you use the two board solution it shouldn't matter anyway.