7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 10:06 AM by Sorin-Stefan

Fonts for Ref-Des

Sorin-Stefan

Hello,

Xpedition VX1.2

When we create silkscreen gerber files, the ref-des are not exactly identical as we see them in the layout.

I assume they are not "translated" or mapped correctly from layout to gerbers.

What font type or settings does one use to get a what-you-see-is-what-you-get outcome in gerbers?

We have a similar problem with assembly ref-des.

When we print out, in Extended Print, the assembly to a PDF file, the ref-des are changed to a different font.

What font type or settings does one use to get a what-you-see-is-what-you-get outcome in PDFs?

Is there a font type that works well in both cases?

I appreciate any input on this topic.

Thank you,

Sorin Stefan

Evertz Microsystems

• 1. Re: Fonts for Ref-Des
          Sorin-Stefan

such a quiet community... almost depressing

• 2. Re: Fonts for Ref-Des
            jeff@viavi

Which font are you using?  If you are using VeriBest Gerber 0 or VeriBest Gerber 1, you don't see the width of the stroke until you run the silkscreen generator.  With the newer Gerber compatible fonts, like VF_STD you should see on screen pretty much what you will see in Gerber.  We are still using VeriBest Gerber 0 for silkscreen because we like how it displays zeros.  For assembly reference designators or text that doesn't get sent out as Gerber, we use Ariel

• 3. Re: Fonts for Ref-Des
              Sorin-Stefan

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for breaking the ice

We haven't decided yet what to use.

For silkscreen I tried std_proportional but I don't get the exactly the same in the gerber, it's still a bit different.

We don't use silkscreen generator, it's an extra step that I don't find necessary.

For assy I tried Arial Narrow  but the PDFs don't look right.

I may have to play with other output settings as well to get what I want.

I just wanted to know what other more seasoned users did about fonts.

thank you,

Sorin

• 4. Re: Fonts for Ref-Des
                mi01156

Hi Sorin,

we use for gerber export "VF std-proportional", but for the PDFs we use "TT Arial"  and "TT Arial narrow".

PCB:

RefdesPCB.PNG

CAM:

RefdesCAM.PNG

PDF:

RefdesPDF.PNG

BR Michael

• 5. Re: Fonts for Ref-Des
                  Jack

It seems like this system periodically stops sending out notifications to email.

I'm busy so it usually takes me a couple of weeks to realize that nothing is coming from MG anymore,

and I have to physically come back to this site and login again to start getting notifications again.

(sorry for your frustration at slow response)

Jack

• 6. Re: Fonts for Ref-Des
                    Sorin-Stefan

I guess I am heading towards same setup, thank you for your input

• 7. Re: Fonts for Ref-Des
                      Sorin-Stefan

Hi Jack,

I have been used with much more lively forums many years ago. But it's ok, I will adjust.

As a rookie in Expedition, I may be too impatient to find out other designers' do-s and dont-s.

Cheers,

--sorin