7 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 12:52 PM by andrew_audova

DxDesigner license

istwok

Periodically, when I try to open my concurrent mode project I am greeted with this error:

Where is this coming from? I do not see any special concurrent mode license line in the site floating license file. I find no information on this error either on this forum or at Supportnet.

• 1. Re: DxDesigner license
          andrew_audova

Hello,

One possible cause is you checked out a 'viewdraw040' license (DxDesigner single-user mode) - if using PADS Flow or PADS Pro Flow it's in the composite license ending in "_c" - and the project is in concurrent mode which requires a 'viewdraw' (DxDesigner with concurrency).

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2. Re: DxDesigner license
            istwok

When I open DxDesigner then run lmutil lmstat -a in a command window to find out what licenses I am now checking out I find:

"dxdatabook" v2017.110, vendor: mgcld

floating license

"dxsim_c" v2017.110, vendor: mgcld

floating license

"netlistflow" v2017.110, vendor: mgcld

floating license

"viewdraw" v2017.110, vendor: mgcld

floating license

I have no idea what dxsim_c and netlistflow are doing for me. Could the problem be the dxsim_c?

I do not find viewdraw_c or viewdraw040 in our license file.

• 3. Re: DxDesigner license
              andrew_audova

Thanks. I don't think the dxsim_c is involved.

Since the problem happens sporadically, could it be that all 'viewdraw' licenses are in use? With newer versions of xDX Designer the license checkout doesn't occur until the project opens, so it could be you're just out of licenses at the time. When this happen next look in the license manager (lmgrd) log file to see if there is a message saying 'all licenses are in use' or similar.

• 4. Re: DxDesigner license
                istwok

We have 7 and there is currently one other than myself checking out "viewdraw" so I don't think that is the problem.

• 5. Re: DxDesigner license
                  andrew_audova

xDX Designer consumes one 'viewdraw' license per user per project. It would be worth checking into if you or your coworker open multiple sessions/projects at a time. Or, it could be there is a license that is 'stuck' (didn't get checked back in for whatever reason).

Another approach you can take, to determine what the underlying error condition is:

Set the MGLS_DEBUG_LOG_DIR environment variable to a folder path (must exist), and when the problem next occurs close out of xDX Designer and check the "License Transactions" section (bottom) of most recent log files in %MGLS_DEBUG_LOG_DIR%.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 6. Re: DxDesigner license
                    istwok

I've checked license usage many times and there is never more than three of the seven floating licenses checked out.

I also unchecked the Check out all available features box under Setup -> Licensing and am no longer using the dxsim_c license. You are correct, that was not involved.

If I go into the xxxxxx.prj file and edit the server name out of this line to just:

KEY DedicatedServerName ""

I can then open the project but of course concurrent mode is not active. But, when after the project is opened in regular or non-concurrent mode, I then go into settings and check the Enable concurrent design box and fill in the Server Name and concurrent mode works. Then, I close DxDesigner and receive the error when opening again. I had tried this previously and that's what I meant originally when I said periodically.

As for the debug log. Here's the log when I cannot open a concurrent mode design and receive the error:

###############################################################
                    # Licenses

License file search path
                      application has not set license path
                      environment var  MGLS_LICENSE_FILE  SET
                      registry key    MGLS_LICENSE_FILE  NOT SET
                      environment var  LM_LICENSE_FILE    NOT SET
                      registry key    LM_LICENSE_FILE    NOT SET
                      C:\flexlm\license.dat              NOT FOUND (Default license file)

First license file accessed
                      1717@PLNLICENSE01

# License Transactions

Unresponsive server C:\flexlm\license.dat

Log file when opening project with KEY DedicatedServerName ""

# Licenses

License file search path
                      application has not set license path
                      environment var  MGLS_LICENSE_FILE  SET
                      registry key     MGLS_LICENSE_FILE  NOT SET
                      environment var  LM_LICENSE_FILE    NOT SET
                      registry key     LM_LICENSE_FILE    NOT SET
                      C:\flexlm\license.dat               NOT FOUND (Default license file)

First license file accessed
                      1717@PLNLICENSE01

# License Transactions

Unresponsive server C:\flexlm\license.dat
                    Feature Requested: netlistflow, 2016.11
                      Display: XXXXXXXXXXX
                      Feature Granted: netlistflow  Location: 1717@PLNLICENSE01

Feature Requested: viewdraw, 2016.11
                      Feature Granted: viewdraw  Location: 1717@PLNLICENSE01

Feature Requested: dxdatabook, 2016.11
                      Feature Granted: dxdatabook  Location: 1717@PLNLICENSE01

• 7. Re: DxDesigner license
                      andrew_audova

Hello,

Thanks for the added detail. At this point I suggest we take this issue offline, and you create a new SR on SupportNet. We can then delve deeper into your current licensing configuration to try and pinpoint the root of the issue. Please make reference to this forum thread in the SR.

Thanks,

Andrew