8 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 8:49 AM by muddee

Create a new central library in PADS Pro

muddee

Hello there,

Is there a way to create a new central library in PADS Pro, instead of modify existing ones to fit our need?

We are going to start new design with the integrated flow in PADS Pro, and we already have the basic elements ready, including the Access database (.mdb), the DxDatabook configuration file (.dbc), and the existing symbols and decals files? How could I make a new central library (.lmc) starting from scratch? I couldn't find a way to do so.

Thanks,

Dawei

• 1. Re: Create a new central library in PADS Pro
          robert_davies

On the PADS Designer (schematic) Start Page - under New Project - PADS Professional - when you create a new project from this dialog next to the path to the Central Library are two buttons, the right-most button enables you to create a new central library.

• 2. Re: Create a new central library in PADS Pro
            muddee

Thank you Robert. I found it.

Now could you also point to me the document of how to set up part/symbol/cell links in the PADS Library Tools? (My PADS Pro ver is VX2.1). Even if I made a new .lmc files, and PartsDBLib folder is empty, but for some reason the central library is not empty - it seems to have the folder structure that the starter library has, as below. I would hope to custom this structure to fit our own needs.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Create a new central library in PADS Pro
              robert_davies

The structure is defined in this way to match the library available from ODA - see Start Page - Starter Library. If you want to create your own structure then look at the PADS Library Tools User’s Guide with the documentation set. As a quick hint - to modify the structure you can delete partitions from the Navigator providing they are empty - right mouse button context menu. To create a new structure use the Partition Editor from the Library Manager toolbar or Setup menu.

• 4. Re: Create a new central library in PADS Pro
                muddee

Thanks again for the prompt response. I am going to read the PADS Library Tools Guide to get familiar with it.

• 5. Re: Create a new central library in PADS Pro
                  muddee

Hi Robert,

Can I ask you one more question? It really bothers me. When I tried to delete one symbol from the partition (in this case, cappolar from Capacitor symbol), it always says "You have no rights to access this object". What does it mean? I should add that I am the only person who is working on this library, so it is not in use or reserved.

• 6. Re: Create a new central library in PADS Pro
                    robert_davies

The simple answer is that I don't know why you're seeing this but it could be that the symbol is used in a part - expand the + next to the cappolar symbol and see if it is used by any parts - if it is then try deleting the part first. If not then I can't help. 

• 7. Re: Create a new central library in PADS Pro
                      casey_silbernagel

What are the security settings for that folder/file?  I have seen that message before if the user does not have read/write privileges.

• 8. Re: Create a new central library in PADS Pro
                        muddee

to Robert: those symbols were not associated with any parts. I imported them from other folders, and haven't tied them to any parts. In fact, I don't have any part now.

to Casey: I just double checked that I am the administrator of this computer, where I have full control of that folder/files. I could manually delete those symbol files, but I couldn't do such in PADS Library Tools. I also tried open DxDesigner as admin, but no difference.

Just a speculation: could it relate to the fact I am having one DxDesigner project open, which also has access to those symbols? But I tried closing DxDesigner while keeping the PADS Library Tools open, and still got the "no rights to access" error. I don't know of a way to open PADS Library Tools without opening DxDesigner though.