11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 8:52 AM by rflowers

Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint

rflowers

Hey yall...

I have recently added a new attribute to all my PADS library parts called 'ROHS' (using it to indicate which parts are ROHS and which are not)

However, when doing an ECO update to an older board, it has somehow added the 'ROHS' attribute to one PADS layout footprint (my '0603' footprint), and when I do an ECO update, in the older schematic it flags as a mismatch all the parts that use an 0603 layout footprint since the 0603 layout footprint somehow has 'ROHS' attached to ITS own attributes.

To be clear, I have a PADS layout footprint called '0603' that now has 'ROHS' added to the FOOTPRINT itself (i.e. not to the schematic part).  So, when I do an ECO update to the PCB, it thinks that all my parts on the old board that use an 0603 footprint need the 'ROHS' attribute.  I never added the ROHS attribute to any particular pcb layout footprint, how the heck did the ROHS attribute get added the 0603 footprint?!

I opened the 0603 footprint in 'edit decal' and choose EDIT > ATTRIBUTE MANAGER and deleted the ROHS attribute that is now embedded in the 0603 footprint, and did this locally and in the main library.  I then updated all the 0603 footprints in my PCB.  However, the ROHS attribute is immediately back after I do the update, and I can go back into edit decal again and see that it is now back as if I never deleted it.

I went into the main library and delete the ROHS attribute from the main library version of the 0603 and there (in the main library decal) it then DOES stay deleted

Also, I went back into PCB layout and into TOOLS > UPDATE FROM LIBRARY and chose to update all 0603 footprints from the main library (and it DOES report a mismatch that the main library does NOT have the ROHS attribute on the 0603 footprint, whereas the 0603 footprint in my PCB does have it).  It updates them, and then they are immediately back and undeleted somehow.

I have spent over 2 hours trying to figure this out and am totally stumped.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Randy Flowers

• 1. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
          vinayarora

Check and make sure Part Type doesn't have the "ROHS' attribute.

• 2. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
            rflowers

Vinay

The newest library parts DO have a new ROHS attribute, but given that this is an existing design that is getting an ECN, most of the parts that use an 0603 do NOT have the new ROHS attribute, and i don't want to update them (in ECNs i only update the parts that actually change).

So, the problem is that the PCB footprint (decal) for the 0603 has somehow gotten the ROHS attribute added to it, so the schematic parts that do not yet have the new ROHS attribute are getting flagged as a mismatch when i do an ECO update.

Except for the 0603, no other PCB footprint (decal) got the ROHS attribute added to it, i had myself only added the new ROHS attribute to schematic parts, not to ANY PCB footprints.  Have no idea how it got added to the 0603 footprint.  AND, now i can't figure out how to delete the ROHS attribute from the 0603 pcb footprint (decal).

Randy

• 3. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
              rflowers

So, does no one have an answer to this question?  We can no longer afford Mentor support and I cannot figure out how to fix this.

Randy

• 4. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
                vinayarora

Randy,

Select all the Part types with ROHS attribute not needed,and delete them.

Point to Decal (maybe crate new decal) which doesn't have attribute as well.

Update the parts.

Vinay

• 5. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
                  rflowers

Sheesh, that is  over my head on.  This is the most important board in the company, I do NOT want to screw it up.  Right now, it is just a bunch of warnings of mismatches.  Nothing critical.

Just updating the 0603 decal from the library, as I said above, does NOT fix the problem, the ROHS attribute is somehow immediately attached to the 0603 PCB footprint again, even though the library 0603 footprint does NOT have the ROHS attribute attached to it.

I never attached a ROHS attribute to ANY PCB footprint, just to schematic PARTS, why is it attaching a ROHS attribute to my 0603 PCB footprint, and when it does it to that 0603 footprint, why not to ALL my other footprints, since all my new parts have the ROHS attribute attached to them now?

Man, I am stumped as to the logic of this one.

Help.

• 6. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
                    rflowers

I had not been pushing this problem being solved since this respin had been lying dormant, but now it has picked up steam again and it has to go out the door next Friday, I have to figure out this issue ASAP and have no ability to ask Mentor Support for any help.

• 7. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
                      vinayarora

Select Part RMB/Attribute

Delete ROHS attribute

• 8. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
                        rflowers

Select Part RMB/Attribute

Delete ROHS attribute

But, the problem is that the ROHS attribute is on ALL the newer parts in my library.  I am working on an older design doing an ECN.  Most of the parts on the older design do NOT have the new ROHS attribute, only the new ones do, which is how it is supposed to be in the schematic.

But, when I go to the board, somehow ONE PCB footprint (the 0603) gets the ROHS ATTRIBUTE attached to itself (which I never did myself, I only attached the ROHS attribute to the part level to new parts).  So, since some of the older parts do NOT have the ROHS attribute in the schematic (as it should be), when they go to the PCB, the PCB 0603 says it has a ROHS attribute attached, thus a mismatch.  In the main library, the PCB 0603 does NOT have the ROHS attribute attached, yet I cannot update from library the PCB 0603, it immediately reverts to having a ROHS attribute attached, nor can I go into the PCB 0603 and manually delete the ROHS attribute, as the moment I go back out of the PCB 0603, the ROHS attribute is immediately back again on the PCB 0603.  So, every time I do an ECO from schematic to PCB, the older parts (that don't have the ROHS attribute in the part attributes and that DO use a 0603 PCB footprint) get a warning flag saying that their PCB 0603 footprint has a ROHS attribute on it and it is a mismatch.

What the heck do I do to get this fixed?

Randy

• 9. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
                          rflowers

I have no idea what i did, but it suddenly fixed itself, problem solved.  So, thanks for the help

• 10. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
                            kbak

Hi Randy

It may have something to do with the 'Attribute Dictionary' settings.

In the 'Attribute Dictionary' you can define which objects an attribute can be assigned to.

I guess your 'ROHS' attribute must only be added to the parttype (and Part).

Then you can follow the setting as shown in the picture (Manufacturer #1 Part No).

AttributeDictionary.png

Note that the attribute only can be assigned to Part and Parttype. Not the Decal.

On the other hand - if you have some attributes that only must be assigned to the Decal - then you can select the 'Decal' only and leave all other objects checkboxes disabled.

regards

Klaus

• 11. Re: Attribute incorrectly attached to my layout footprint
                              rflowers

Thanks Klaus

Didn't even know I HAD an attribute dictionary...:)

But that wasn't it either, all manufacturer #1, etc attributes are not assigned to a decal, plus if they were, why did it only assign the 'ROHS' attribute to this single PCB and only to the 0603 decal (and not to the 0603 decal in the main library)?

In any event, the Universe itself seems to have fixed it.  So, problem that I never understood is solved!

Randy