9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2017 11:44 PM by fuba

vb/vb.Net Script to load Variant into Schematic

fuba

Hello,

I am looking for a way to load a variant back into the schematic.

Is there a way via script to ahive this ?

Thank you

/S

• 1. Re: vb/vb.Net Script to load Variant into Schematic
          peter_festesen

It is not clear to me what you want to do. If you want to import Variant assignment info (text/excel) like 'unassigned' and replacement partnumber, please take a look at Export&Import Variant information

otherwise let us know more about your use case.

/Peter 

• 2. Re: vb/vb.Net Script to load Variant into Schematic
            Patrick.Cashman

As Peter says, your question is a bit ambiguous. 

When you say 'load a variant back into the schematic' it could mean several things:

1. Create a variant from scratch, with no part number changes or non-installed parts.

2. Put part number changes and install/don't install changes from some external source into an existing variant.

3. Create a variant and add part number changes and install/don't install information into it.

All of these things are possible, but we'd need to know exactly what you are trying to do, with what information, any related external sources of the variant data, and what you want to end up with.

• 3. Re: vb/vb.Net Script to load Variant into Schematic
              fuba

Hello Peter, Hello Patrick,

thanks for the first response on this. When I am talking about "loading",

then I ment that the Variant manager X-es out the parts which were not

installed. Like when I press the Button I marked below.

VariantManager-01.png

I hope my intension is now a lille bit clearer. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you all & ciao

/Stefan

• 4. Re: vb/vb.Net Script to load Variant into Schematic
                peter_festesen

Ok, I understand now.

What you are actually doing is you run the 'Create Variant Schematics' command, which will create variant dependent schematics for you to investigate, export pdf etc.

These schematics are not written anywhere, they stay in memory until you go back to the master.

I would have to check if this command is open to automation - what is the next logical step - export pdfs ?

/Peter 

• 5. Re: vb/vb.Net Script to load Variant into Schematic
                  fuba

Hello Peter,

yes "creating pdf's" was my initial idea. This I have running via the sch2pdf.exe and the *.vwd Files.

Similar like mentioned here: https://communities.mentor.com/message/37993#comment-37993

But we also have a lot of scripts/vb.Net tools doing Part Information extraction/special BOM creation,

and I thought I coluld use this (load variants automatically), to ease the total process.

/Stefan

• 6. Re: vb/vb.Net Script to load Variant into Schematic
                    peter_festesen

Ok, I get it - well, as soon as you want to work with component information, I actually think it is easier to access the information directly, instead of going via the variant schematic. Think of it as going to the variant grid directly.

In the past, I have written a couple of Variant Manager scripts for a customer (they paid for it, so they own it, which means that I cannot post them here. I found the 'Variant Manager Automation Reference' document (eevm_auto.pdf) quite useful in my quest.

Basically you iterate through the variants and run whatever you want to do per variant. If I remember correctly, at that time we dumped a BOM from the script and let the script do some postprocessing directly on the file.  

Or you iterate through the variant components (parts) directly and build your BOM manually.

Like I said, I cannot post any of those script, but if you have specific questions or run into trouble with your scripts, I am more than happy to help..

/Peter

• 7. Re: vb/vb.Net Script to load Variant into Schematic
                      fuba

Thanks for the Info.

Variant Manager Scripts I have already in place, and doing it similar the way you described for BOM related exports.

I was only looking for maybe a new way to bring a bit more convenience to the tools and a be a bit more user friendly,

or find some new ways.

Thanks again for all the answers on this.

ciao Stefan

• 8. Re: vb/vb.Net Script to load Variant into Schematic
                        Patrick.Cashman

The function you want is a method of the Variant Manager application object , GenerateVariantView.

as in:

vmapp.GenerateVariantView(var As MGCVARIANTGUI.IMGCVMVariant)

I just tried it and it works fine. You have to supply it the variant (not the name, the variant object itself) but it seems you already have that if you know how to get vmdoc and generate variant-based BOMs.

vmapp.ResetView()

puts it back to the normal view.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: vb/vb.Net Script to load Variant into Schematic
                          fuba

Ja, thats what I was looking for. Thank you.