peter_festesen

Detect Pin Thermal Overrides

Discussion created by peter_festesen on Sep 12, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 27, 2017 by beltz

There are a few other threads regarding handling (reset) of Pin Thermal Overrides - as an example look at https://communities.mentor.com/message/69457#comment-69457

I decided to try and see if I could write such a script, based on a snippet in the above discussion,

Call pcbAppObj.Gui.ProcessCommand(33672,True)

33672 - it's ID command for "Remove thermal Override"

I found that that call will return True/False depending on the result. Since I was mainly after detecting and reporting all existing Pin Thermal Overrides in a design, I came up with this function :

Function CheckPinThermal

CheckPinThermal=False

If App.Gui.ProcessCommand(33672,True) Then

Call App.Gui.ProcessCommand("Undo",True)

CheckPinThermal=True

End if 'ProcessCommand

End Function 'CheckPinThermal

and it turned out to work in the designs that I have tested on.

At the end it resulted in the attached script, which creates a report, listing important info for any Pin Thermal Overrides found. 

I have tried to add many comments so it should be understandable what is going on. Basically,

' Script iterates through all Plane Shapes, finds all Padstacks/Pins inside Plane Shape,

' and checks if a Pin Thermal Override is present. If Yes, it checks if the Plane Class has

' the "Use padstack thermal definition" is set. If yes, the Pin Thermal overrides the part padstack thermal.

' if not, the Pin Thermal overrides the Plane Class Setting. 

' Both override situations are reported

As always, here is the disclaimer :

'Acceptable Usage Policy

'

'  This software is NOT officially supported by Mentor Graphics.

'

'  ####################################################################

'  ## The following  software  is  "freeware" which  Mentor Graphics                            ##

'  ## Corporation  provides as a courtesy  to our users.  "freeware"                             ##

'  ## is provided  "as is" and  Mentor  Graphics makes no warranties                          ##

'  ## with  respect  to "freeware",  either  expressed  or  implied,                                 ##

'  ## including any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness                              ##

'  ## for a particular purpose.                                                                                        ##

Have fun, and let me and others know if it worked for you.

Attachments

Outcomes