2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2017 5:15 PM by jeffrey

Should Testpoint have placment outline?

jeffrey

This may be a silly questions, but should a testpoint cell have a placement outline?

I checked the training libraries and the answer seems to be no, but I just wanted to know for sure before I make the change to my cell.

Thanks,

-Jeffrey

• 1. Re: Should Testpoint have placment outline?
          Vern_Wnek

Typically, I make my TPs with a placement outline the same size as the pad, just to make sure I can check for interference later. It is not required though.

I also shrink my Ref Des text down to a size that the pad obliterates.

Thanks,

Vern Wnek, C.I.D.

Technical Marketing, Xpedition

8247-3230 or 1-949-790-3230 Office

714-264-2417 Cell

Vern_Wnek@Mentor.com<mailto:Vern_Wnek@Mentor.com>

<http://www.mentor.com/pcb/xpedition/>Xpedition® VX - next generation pcb design is here – click the X to learn more.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Should Testpoint have placment outline?
            jeffrey

Thanks Vern.

That matches what I've been doing.

Where this question stems from is when I try to place them in areas that shouldn't cause an issue, such as just inside the placement outline that is enlarged for rework  around a BGA but outside of the body area, I currently have to accept them.  Obviously having the testpoint there won't cause a rework issue nor a placement issue, but it prompted me to ponder the "best practice" for the placement outline of the testpoint.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Jenkins

Sr. PCB Staff Designer, CID+

L3 Technologies, Linkabit